Author Topic: A public word of thanks  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
A public word of thanks
« on: September 01, 2010, 09:30:28 PM »
With my duck calls I've been getting good low end and mid range for a while but had been lacking the ringing hail.  I had tried everything that made sense to me and it just wasn't working like I wanted.  To date I showed my calls to people with pride, but lacking the confidence that they'd really love what they hear when they really put the air to them.  They'll certainly hunt, but I wouldn't charge $80+ for them.  I often make excuses like "they're not quite there yet, I'm still learning" as some sort of disclaimer when people blow them.

Stumpjumper and I were on the phone the other night working out the particulars of an acrylic trade, and started talking calls.  When I told him my calls weren't quite where I want them he started asking questions.  One thing he suggested was to look at the length of my inserts.  I'd never thought about how that might affect the sound...I was focused so hard on the toneboard, even though I had fiddled around with reaming the exhaust out to different diameters to little avail.

So yesterday I turned a cocobolo call and shortened my insert by a good solid 1/4" (haven't measured it exactly yet).  They were a tad long-looking anyhow.  Tonight I put a reed in it and gave it a run......And giggled like a little school girl.  Tonight I finished the duck call that has exactly the sound I'm looking for.  That ringing hail that makes the hair on your neck stand up, good mid range duck, and good low end and feed chuckle.  A call that doesn't lock up or squeal when you hammer it.

Sometimes all it takes is talking to somebody that knows what they're talking about so you look at things from a different angle.  I was so close for the last few months but would've probably never got there without having someone else's experience and perspective given to me..."Try a shorter insert".  Simple.  Callmaking isn't like turning bowls or pens where you can easily go to the local turning club meeting and take advantage by learning with the hands-on experience of others, so for many of us sites like THO and CCO, and the people you find on them, are hugely valuable.

So thanks to everyone who's bits of knowledge helped me get here, and a big thanks to Stump for helping me back up and see the big picture and what I was missing.  I've helped a few guys on the phone with turkey calls the way Stump helped me, but the duck calls have presented a much greater challenge than the turkey calls ever did!
 :thanks:

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Re: A public word of thanks
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 09:41:23 PM »
 :bigup:   :nthrd:

Al @ THO

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 09:52:37 PM »
Glad to hear you have gotten the sound you were after. There are sooooooo many variables in a duck call. Getting them ALL just right seems like a never ending process.

The members and information on the site is such a help to not only new call makers but also to the seasoned ones.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline JThomas

• New Forum Member
    • http://skullpointgamecalls.com
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 10:20:10 PM »
 :clap:
http://skullpointgamecalls.com         
 Aim small - Miss small

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 06:20:51 AM »
 :2up:  Cool stuff right there!   :2up:

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 06:55:27 AM »
 :2up: :2up: :2up:

Mutt
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 08:30:03 AM »

Stump is awesome like that!!!  Congrats on getting that sound out of your calls that you were after.   :bigup:

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 04:48:25 PM »
KC,
I`m tickled to death for you bo.  Not because anything I suggested but simply because you sir are happy.  It was a great conversation and I gained information as well.  I listen to everything when talking to other call makers...weather they know it or not.  A man can learn alot that way.
Duck calls are a funny animal.  Change one slight thing and everything changes!!!!!!  I`ve been guilty of being in a rut myself brother.  Stepped back and really thought about EVERYTHING.  It came to me finally but the road was hard to travel at times.  I will suggest to anyone looking at making calls or that is having a problem here and there....really try to think about AIR.  What happens when air moves differently ie smooth path with no turbulence, with turbulence, deflected, travels a long distance or a short distance, is pressurized or unpressurized.  Seriously, alot can be learned when you really think about it, and applying that to call making can make a hugh difference.

KC, you would have gotten it in the end bo, that I really believe.  Congratulations....I`m smiling along with you.  And by the way, like I said, your turkey calls are BEAUTIFUL brother!!!!!!!  I drool when looking at them.  I`m sure before long you`ll have duck calls on your site and I`ll be drooling over them as well.

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline M. Yingling

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 05:39:08 PM »
 :bigup: