Author Topic: translucent yellow  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
translucent yellow
« on: August 28, 2010, 11:40:05 PM »
Just finished this one up yesterday.  Never done one without a band, but it doesn't seem necessary on an acrylic call so I figured I'd give it a shot.  My black o-rings kind of look funny in there, huh.  I really fought the inside of the barrel and the inside of the insert on this one....Sanded and sanded and polished and polished, but didn't get it quite perfect.  Not bad, but not perfect. 

Offline KnockEmDeadCalls

• New Forum Member
Re: translucent yellow
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 11:47:43 PM »
WOW I'm always amazed by the way you experienced guys critique your own work and are never quite satisfied with every aspect of your calls, and then I sit here and I'm looking for something worng with it but they always just look incredible and this one is no exception it really is BEAUTIFUL and i actually like the O-rings , really gives it a three demensional kind of depth to it  :bigup:  GREAT JOB as usual KC
Ethan

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 11:56:35 PM »
Thanks KnockEmDead, but I'm sure as heck not one of the experienced guys when it comes to duck calls.  I'm a duck call newbie still....Getting the sound I want finally, but the learning curve is still not flat with me.  Sure do appreciate the compliments but I'm living proof that making them look good is only half the battle because until recently my nicest looking calls sounded like poo.   :wacko:

My wife is a Mizzou grad ( :down1:), so she said that the black o-rings visible through the yellow acrylic made it look like a Mizzou call.  Boooooo.   :pot:

Offline KnockEmDeadCalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 12:08:09 AM »
Oh well then I take back my compliments on the o-rings haha! boo is right I have a good idea for your next acrylic though..Transluscent blue with white o-rings... Good old PENN STATE   :rockon:
Ethan

Offline M. Yingling

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 09:59:44 AM »
I like it        :bigup:

Offline harvey8542

• New Forum Member
  • Team Stubble Stalkers
    • Stubble Stalkers
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 02:48:37 PM »
Great job :bigup:
Great deal on advertising two of your calls for a year on http://stubblestalkers.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php

Offline Steel Rain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 08:56:05 PM »
Very nice! I kinda like the o-rings showing through. Almost reminds me of a yellow jacket or a bee... Could be an interesting marketing idea for you.
The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 09:56:11 PM »
Hey I like it.  Sort of a Plastic Ossage   :rofl: :rofl:

Have you tried to polish the inside with Micro Fiber cloth?   If you have a home depot around, you can pick up a Micro Fiber Tack Cloth for just a couple of bucks.

If you have a WalMart near you, they sell a MicroFiber Shower Curtain liner for about 20 bucks that will give you more polishing cloth than you will use in a long time.   Micro Fiber does not leave any scratches in the acrylic and is what I use to polish the inside of my bores.

Al @ THO

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 11:43:59 PM »
Hey I like it.  Sort of a Plastic Ossage   :rofl: :rofl:

Have you tried to polish the inside with Micro Fiber cloth?   If you have a home depot around, you can pick up a Micro Fiber Tack Cloth for just a couple of bucks.

If you have a WalMart near you, they sell a MicroFiber Shower Curtain liner for about 20 bucks that will give you more polishing cloth than you will use in a long time.   Micro Fiber does not leave any scratches in the acrylic and is what I use to polish the inside of my bores.

Al @ THO

Now that is a tip I've never heard before Al, and I am definitely intrigued.   :yes:  Is it kind of like the microfiber lens cleaning cloths?  What's the process?  Polishing compound?  Does it take out scratches or should I wet sand first?  Up to this point I've been wet sanding to at least 1200 and then using a paper towel and Hut plastic polish.     :bow:

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 11:55:50 PM »
Lots of different things to use.  I usually sand to 1000 and then polish with the micro fiber cloths using any good acrylic scratch remover found in the auto parts department of WalMart or an auto parts store.  They all work about the same.

The deal with the tac cloth or shower curtain is they are pretty big, and you get more bang for the buck.  I use it just like I used to use the paper towels.   Works like a charm.   Novus plastic polish works well too.   It comes in two grades, fine and course.   A bit more expensive than the other polishes, and the others seem to work just as well so I don't use it much any more.   I think you get a better finish with the micro fiber.   

Al @ THO

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 12:25:42 AM »
I'll be giving that a try Al.  Thanks. 

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 08:32:47 AM »
Call looks great.  I see no flaws!

Mutt
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline rocfish13

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 08:54:22 AM »
Love the depth of the color!! It plays with your eyes! :bigup: