Author Topic: Finish on Mouth Blown Calls  (Read 5854 times)

blacky

Finish on Mouth Blown Calls
« on: February 07, 2008, 09:59:35 PM »
I noticed people are using either BLO or Spar Urethane to finish grunt, crow and predator calls. I finish my pots and strikers with Formby's Tung Oil then buff it and wax it. Would this be a good finish on grunt, crow and predator calls and if not, WHY?

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: Finish on Mouth Blown Calls
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 11:05:38 PM »
I personally like an oil and wax finsih. It may not provide quite the protection that a varnish does, but with a little care I think it can do the job. Think about a gun stock. They exposed to a lot of elements and keep on ticking. And they usually only have an oil and wax finish. I think a call is the same way. Just add a little oil to the calls, on a regular basis, and I think the call is good to go.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 09:08:22 AM »
Formby's is a wpe on varnish.  It probably doesn't even have tung oil in it -  as most products like this on the maket don't.

It is a very nice fishish though, and when dry is hard and holds up well.  Easy enough to fix if the customer gets a ding or scratch in the call, so I would say it is fine to use as a finish on your calls.

Al @ THO

blacky

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 10:27:50 AM »
I knew that Formby's didn't have much tung oil if any in it but do like the looks when it is done. I don't wipe it in but apply it with a small brush and then lighty rub it some. I allow 24 hours per coat and give each call at least 4 coats and then buff and wax over that.

I also after the the first sanding phase of 150 grit put a coat of Formby's on and let it almost dry and then begin the complete sanding process. That helps fill in any marks left by the cutting tools and this seems to work well for me.

I am learning.

Offline rwehuntn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 10:35:09 AM »
I have used it, it does ciome in a high gloss finish that shines well with no buffing. It will dry up in the can though if you don't use it fast enough, so I quit buying it and went to teak oil. Got frustrated trying to get the stuff out of the can. I have used pure tung oil for initial wet sanding and the formbys over the top for finish coats, it works well.

rwehuntn

Offline GrampasShop

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 05:54:40 PM »
Woodcraft sells a product called "Bloxygen" that will help with the finish drying in the can problem.  I know it works with Waterlox finish.  I also read on a woodworking site that if you take a regular old propane torch and blow propane into the container it will displace the oxygen which is what causes the setting up process.  Or back in the old days, I would just put marbles into the opened container until the level was at the top of the opening. 

Offline rwehuntn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 07:43:19 PM »
Thanks for the tip Grampasshop. I tried to put my marbles in the can, but when I looked for them I couldn't find them. Hmmmmmm guess my wife was right, I lost my marbles. ;D ;D ;D

rwehuntn

P.S. NOT THOSE MARBLES AL, I STILL HAVE THOSE TWO :o :o :o

Offline GrampasShop

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 05:21:36 PM »
LMAO @ rwehuntn 

I tried the propane trick the other night on a can of Formby's Tung Oil since my can of Bloxygen is getting low on pressure.  Cant tell by weight because it feels like an empty can even when new.  I will have to check the Tung Oil this weekend and see if it works.  The first place that dries is the lip at the top of opening and it never fails it falls into the can when you open.   

Something else I always wondered about is, what if you store the can upside down.  That way the drying will take place at the bottom first.  But as soon as you turn can over what happens. 

I guess I need to sleep more at night huh??