Author Topic: band question  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Chris at Owens Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Owens Custom Calls
band question
« on: August 19, 2010, 05:38:56 PM »
i've just started making copper bands because i love the way they look.  has anyone that dips their calls with spar had any problems with the band tarnishing?  i gave a call to a guy back in may and he brought it back today for me to look at.  the copper band still had finish on it and it was not chipping off.  but underneath the finish, the band looked dirty near the top.  it wasn't discolored anywhere else.  ystarting to worry.  any ideas?

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Re: band question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 07:13:03 PM »

Copper is an easy one to tarnish.  I haven't found anything yet that keeps it from tarnishing.  I haven't dipped one in a long time, so I'm no help there.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 07:45:29 PM »
I rarely use a band, but in the old days when I did I always used lacquer for the finish and covered the band with it.  I started that after I got out of the Army in 1969, the  :censored: uniform brass was coated in lacquer and we had to get it off so we could polish it.  It was  :censored: to get that lacquer off, so I used it and I never had complaints.  As a last thing, when I made NCO I bought the gold plated uniform "brass" so I did not have to spend an hour every day polishing the  :censored: brass.  Did I mention I hate brass.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Chris at Owens Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Owens Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 08:19:36 PM »
i assumed by having a finish over it, it wouldn't tarnish. i think i only put one coat of a thinned finish on it because it was a practice call.  hopefully that is the problem. 

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 01:47:25 AM »
C'mon Marvin, tell us how ya really feel....... :pot:

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 02:00:06 AM »
I remember the day I made E-5, myself and some of the others headed to the PX and bought our gold plated brass.  My next tour was Ft Polk as a Drill Instructor, I could spot tarnished brass a mile away.  On a clear day sometimes it was more than a mile.  Any screw ups in my Platoon that I needed to keep on the Fort, no problem look at their brass, a sure way to deny a weekend pass.  Need a detail?  Do a brass check, guaranteed as many "volunteers" as needed.  Did you know that mustard will polish brass?  Did you know that Brasso is made by the same company that makes French's Mustard?  Did I tell you I like brass so much that it can kiss my brass?  That is why I bought GOLD PLATED BRASS! :bigup:
Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 10:16:03 AM »
Oh man, A D.I. ............ I remember the days!

Thank God I wnt Navy :punk:

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline idahofowlweather

• New Forum Member
  • Fowlweather Custom Calls
    • Fowlweather Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 03:44:25 PM »
I use a lot of copper and about the olny thing I have found to keep it from looking like a penny is Rod Wrapping Finish... most of the time I try to keep the finish off bands... when I sell a call with a copper band I let the customer know that if they want the band to look like new agian they just need to apply some brasso to it every now and then... most like the penny look...

Jake
Jacob Hyer
Fowlweather Custom Calls
www.fowlweathercustomcalls.com