Author Topic: A tool worth checking out  (Read 2804 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
A tool worth checking out
« on: August 20, 2010, 09:13:07 AM »
Last night I was at Woodcraft and could no longer resist the urge to try one of the EWT (easy wood tools) carbide lathe tools.  I got the mini sized finishing tool ($91) with the round carbide cutter.  Watched a couple online videos to make sure I did it right, and gave it a shot.  Freaking incredible!  That little cutter is so sharp it cuts beautifully with no effort and no actual "technique"...You just hold it flat.  I used it to form a turkey pot and even did some hollowing with it, on a piece of very curly hard maple.  It leaves a surface that hardly needs any sanding at all if your tool movement is smooth.  I've always hollowed my pots with a parting tool.  Not anymore!  Looking forward to using it for duck calls, and I'm already working out how I'm going to buy the detailer tool with the diamond-shaped tip and the roughing tool they make with a square cutter.

Not sure how it will do on acrylic, but I assure you I'll be finding that out this weekend.   :devil2:

I've always poo-poo'd carbide lathe tools as unnecessary.  They are, but I'll admit that these sure are fun to use.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: A tool worth checking out
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 11:04:24 AM »
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 12:22:21 PM »
 :whistling:  I tried to tell ya!

The tools from Things Western will save you a little bank.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Wes

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 12:55:32 PM »
I have one of each, the easy wood tool and one things western tools. The easy wood tool is hands down far better than the things western tool. After getting the EWT I don't even pick up the other anymore. I have used it on everything, even Micarta , and have yet to rotate the cutter. It is a little more expensive but well worth the extra cost.....

Wes
There is a fine line between hobby  and mental illness .

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 02:19:40 PM »
Braz, that's the one.  :yes:

I looked at the Things Western version but opted for the EWT for a couple reasons.  First, I do not like the narrow golf club handle on the Things Western version...I did go grab a golf club and hold it like I would a lathe tool and the shape/diameter didn't appeal to me.  Second, I like that the EWT is a square bar of steel that rests on the tool rest, which seems like it would be more stable compared to a round bar.  Gotta admit that the Things Western ones are very tempting due to the price!

Offline Honk1493

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 03:41:02 PM »
I have the 1/2" round cutter and the 1/2" square cutter from thing western they have a round rod but it is ground flat underneath the cutter.I really like mine and if you like it for wood you will luv it for acrylic JMO.  Mark
Treat everone like you want to be treated yourself.

woodie headed merganzer

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 05:13:44 PM »
I have a square, and a round one. I just bought the tips and made my own handles out of 1/2" round stainless stock, and turned the handels out of some
old walnut firewood. jcz has one a guy made and thats where I got the idea when I used it there was no doubt which way i was going. On acrylic just go easy it will grab and chip. :bigup: :bigup:

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 09:29:20 PM »
KC you will love it with the acrylic!! I have the triangle and made myself the round tip. Actually made 2 round tipped chisles. They work so good I hardly ever use regular chisles.
I have dulled out the first one I made after over a year of turning. When I went to woodcraft a few weeks ago to get a replacement tip the guy told how to sharpen it. Use a diamond stone. I put the dull tip flat on the stone and worked it back and forth. When I was tired of it I put it back together and the old tip is just as sharp as the new one.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 11:09:23 AM »
You're right JCZ, it works slick on acrylic.  I was able to start wet sanding at 400 grit and got a perfect finish.  There are definitely a couple more of these in the near future for me.   :yes:

Offline muddpuppi

• New Forum Member
    • MUDDPUPPI CUSTOM CALLS
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 09:59:45 PM »
i  got  one   a   fella  one   another  forum  makes...it is a  5/16  sq  shaft  and  i  can  interchange  3   different  heads  on  it..1/2  round, 3/8  round  and   the  diamond ...  it  looks  similar  to  the  ewt...he  is  curently   workin  on  a  sq  head  cutter..only  difference  is   i  paid  $80  shipped  with  8  cutters 4  of  each  and  he  threw  in  2  diamonds because  he  didnt  ship  it  when  he  said...
TAKE A KID HUNTING...THEY ARE THE FUTURE OF OUR SPORT...