Author Topic: Bocote, changing things up  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Bocote, changing things up
« on: August 08, 2010, 11:41:17 PM »
Here's one I made out of bocote this weekend.  Changed a few things up with this call.  Some of it I like, some of it I don't. 

The toneboard part of the insert was turned out of some 5/8" Delrin rod that I recently got.  Lots cheaper than acrylic and to me it sounds the same.  I drilled it into the bocote square before turning the insert and secured it with CA glue.  That actually worked out really slick. 

I hate the proportion of the insert in comparison to the barrel.  It is 1/4" to long in my opinion, and a bit too fat. 

Something happened to me on this one that hasn't happened to me before, although I have read about it happening.  I turned the barrel, turned the shoulder for the aluminum Gouldman band to go over.  Finished the call, then went to put the band on it the next day.  Loose!!!  Too loose to salvage unfortunately.  The wood shrunk up overnight.  I once swore that wouldn't happen with dried woods, so I'm eating crow on that one.   :whistling:
Sooooo, I had no option but to make an acrylic band for it.  That was a challenge, and I hadn't tried it before.  Had to create a wood tenon that went into a mortise in the acrylic band.  Polished it and CA glued it on.  Worked out slick, but the band is a bit narrow for my taste.  Didn't have a choice on that. 

Aside from the band diameter and the insert length I'm happy with it.  At least it sounds good!  Feedback welcomed!   :yes:

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Bocote, changing things up
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 04:38:03 AM »
 :up1:  I think one of the reasons your calls always look so good is because you are so hard on yourself.  That is an excellent looking call.  I can see what you're seeing when you point it out, but you are gonna be your worst critic.   :up1:

Keep up the good work!  I like the looks of that delrin board.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Honk1493

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 03:23:21 PM »

Looks real nice to me. I think you are to hard on yourself but sometimes that is necessary for us to accomplish what we want ourselves.
 :bigup: Mark
Treat everone like you want to be treated yourself.

Offline FNA Custom Calls By David Mitchell.

• New Forum Member
  • Fowl n Attitude Custom Calls
    • FowlnAttitude Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 07:56:35 PM »
I think size, shape and all look Great KC!!!! :bigup:  Nice job!! Some people like a lil more to hang on to.

David

Offline Robert A.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 09:18:51 PM »
Great looking Call and nice finish!!! I do like the derlin insert and the doulbe o-ring. The acrylic Band finished it off for me!! Great Craftsmanship all the way around Mate!!
Triple Shot Game Calls
http://www.tripleshotgamecalls.com/
If you don't take a chance you will never get a chance!!!