Author Topic: How do you hang your dipped calls to dry?  (Read 4110 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
How do you hang your dipped calls to dry?
« on: August 06, 2010, 09:33:19 AM »
This isn't necessarily something I'm struggling with, but I thought it would be cool to see how everybody does it...

How do you hang your call barrels when your dipping them and while they're drying?  My crude method is a bent piece of 12ga THHN wire in the shape of a shepherd's hook.  The hook goes into the barrel and is wide enough that it puts pressure against the walls of the drilled hole and friction keeps it in place.  It is a challenge to hang up because it is hard to get the call in a perfect vertical position to avoid thick spots at the nouth end. 

On my inserts I use a 6" piece of masking tape to stick to the toneboard.  Since the toneboard itself doesn't get dipped I just keep the tape above the dip line...Lots easier than wire.  I then hang it from the shelf using the tape.

Definitely want to hear some better ideas!   :smartass:

Offline Tobin at Copeland Duck Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Copeland Duck Calls
Re: How do you hang your dipped calls to dry?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 12:41:38 PM »
I use clothes pins.  Drill a hole in the pinching end to hang from a finishing nail.  Then insert the squeezing end into the barrel.  It opens securing the barrell and making a handle of sorts.  Quick, cheap, and easy to operate.

My  :2:
Tobin
"The only place that success comes before work is in the dictionary" -VL

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 12:45:02 PM »
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 03:44:07 PM »
Awesome tutorial BigB, what a great idea.  Funny thing is I replied to that post and completely forgot about the idea of the clips.  Must have had a couple bourbons in me when I read it.  Going to have to steal one of those clips from work..................There, done!   :devil2:

Good idea for barrels.  What is everyone doing for inserts?  :huh:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 03:46:01 PM by theKCtermite »

Offline Lower Creek Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Lower Creek Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 04:06:24 PM »
I use the same setup as BigB I actually got the idea from that thread.  For my inserts I use the same paper clips I just don't take them apart.  I clip onto the tone board and dip down to the "o" ring part only.
John Hood
Lower Creek Game Calls
Author of "Today's Call Makers Keeping The Tradition Alive"

www.lowercreekgamecalls.com

Offline Dunkler

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 04:49:09 PM »
When I dip them I take a paper clip and cut a straight end off of it and then fold it into a "V" shape to where it has a tight "friction fit" inside the barrel or insert then tie a piece of braided fishing line to the crease of the "v" and hang them on thumb tacks. Its the cleanest method i have found.

Offline MadTrapper

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 07:05:12 PM »
I don't hang them.  I put them on a modified dowel that fits horizonally in a grill rotisserie and walk away, letting them slowly turn for a couple of hours.  No drips.  No runs.  No problems.   :2up:
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it". - George Bernard Shaw

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 07:25:46 PM »
I do believe we need a few pictues of that modification.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Robert A.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 08:53:37 PM »
Got the gears turning now so to speak.. :rofl: I am thinking a pen mandrel and a slow speed low gear drive motor!!! 1 rpm....
Triple Shot Game Calls
http://www.tripleshotgamecalls.com/
If you don't take a chance you will never get a chance!!!

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 01:52:29 PM »
I don't hang them.  I put them on a modified dowel that fits horizonally in a grill rotisserie and walk away, letting them slowly turn for a couple of hours.  No drips.  No runs.  No problems.   :2up:

Funny, this is exactly hot I do my CA finish! I get a nice glossy coat and no drips to cut out. I actually used a couple of the old crepe rubber bushings from a HUT game call kit that I redrilled and slid over the rotisserie shaft, but the concept is the same....

Great minds think alike!

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline idahofowlweather

• New Forum Member
  • Fowlweather Custom Calls
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 03:49:51 PM »

thats how I do mine also... but my rotisserie is for rod building... works like a charm...

Jake
Jacob Hyer
Fowlweather Custom Calls
www.fowlweathercustomcalls.com

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 04:01:52 PM »
I'd sure like to see one of you guys get a few pictures posted up of this process in action. Sounds very interesting.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 04:12:11 PM »
I'm with Braz for sure!  The only question/concern I have is how do you keep the rotisserie rods from boogering the finish on the inside of the calls' barrels, and how do you use it on inserts?

Offline idahofowlweather

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 10:55:50 AM »
I'm with Braz for sure!  The only question/concern I have is how do you keep the rotisserie rods from boogering the finish on the inside of the calls' barrels, and how do you use it on inserts?

well as far as the inside goes... I don't do wood anymore if its not stabilized I don't touch it so really the inside is fine with just a buff job on a Stabilized barrel... I was never a big fan of the inside of the barrels being dipped when I did do wood calls... always had to chase it with a reamer and it looked like crap agian... so I would just spray the inside with sanding sealer and call it good... I will try to see if I have a pic of my Rotisserie with barrels on it with a stopper... now I might just have to build a wood call just to show you a pic now... great I will be itchy and hacking all over the place for a week now....lol...

Jake
Jacob Hyer
Fowlweather Custom Calls
www.fowlweathercustomcalls.com