Author Topic: 1 Inch bench sander  (Read 6156 times)

Offline Mark at Bad Medicine Game Calls

• New Forum Member
1 Inch bench sander
« on: August 03, 2010, 09:48:08 PM »
So I'm trying to figure out what a good model is and would like your opinions on which 1 inch belt sander to get.  I saw one on Grizzly's site and on Harbor Freight's site.  Where else should I be looking and which ones should I be staying away from?  I'll be using it mostly to sharpen my tools and shape toneboards  Thanks in advance for the help!!
Mark Levasseur

Brandon, VT

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.   Isaiah 40:31

Offline JThomas

• New Forum Member
    • http://skullpointgamecalls.com
Re: 1 Inch bench sander
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 10:39:02 PM »
I use a Delta 1x42 and it has preformed well Lowes..

Jt
http://skullpointgamecalls.com         
 Aim small - Miss small

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 11:06:07 PM »
Personally I'd avoid any power tools from Harbor Freight.  They're of poor quality almost across the board.  A Griz might cost more than a Harbor Freight model but they'll stand behind it.  I've eyed the Delta model at Lowes for a long time and it looks to be a pretty decent machine.  Gotta admit that one of those little 1" belt sanders would be mighty handy for a number of tasks.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 01:19:12 PM »

I've got a 1" Delta belt sander.  I can't find a picture of it online, but it does look a lot like this Grizzly:

I wouldn't use it for tool sharpening, unless you have a really fine grit belt on it.  I've got 120 grit on mine, and it will eat metal in no time flat. 

I also wouldn't use a belt sander for doing duck toneboards.  I use it for predator toneboards, as I free hand my toneboards to get the arc that I desire.  The belt sander will also eat tonebooard jig steel, even if it is hardened steel.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 06:56:34 PM »
Thanks for the insight guys!  Jthomas thanks for the tip.  KC I've really been eyeballing that Grizzly model and unless I can find a better deal at the local Lowes or Home Cheapot I probably end up getting it.    BigB I plan I buying a flat jig from Wade I'll cut the flat out on my scroll saw then free hand my toneboards until I get one that sounds the way I want it to.  Files can be used on the jig right?  I guess I'll just keep using my grinder to sharpen tools.  and hone them like I have been.  Thanks again for the advice!!
Mark Levasseur

Brandon, VT

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.   Isaiah 40:31

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 07:15:25 PM »
I use one that has no brand name on  it, it is about 30 years old and safety hazard that has no guards on it, open wheels, I can change out belts in less than a minute.  I keep 320, 120 and 80 belts in stock, I use the 320 belts to sharpen my skews, takes a few seconds and beats the Wolverine system.  I use the 120 and 80 grit belts to remove stock from both wood and metal.  The 80 grit will eat 1080 steel almost like a piece of balsa. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 08:47:31 PM »
Regarding your question regarding filing on the jig....My experience has been that after a long time the jig will show minimal wear from filing, but it is harder than the files are. 

Offline Lonehowl

• New Forum Member
  • Varmints Inc. Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 01:00:59 AM »
I have 3..the little Harbor Freight model, the Delta and one I bought a frame for and bought a motor seperatly.
The Delta is pretty good for all kinds of stuff, and has a side disc sander, really useful. The Harbor freight sander is ok, but not as good. I use the Delta way more.

The one I put together, I made pretty much for making (predator call) toneboards. I installed a 1750 rpm motor on it. WAY better than the 3450 or so little motors on the other two, they are just way to fast. You have more control and get a better finish on stuff with the slower motor. And be  aware a belt sander, even a small one can ruin stuff in a hurry, especially something like a toneboard. And like stated above, will eat up a hardened jig.

Its a 1x42 belt size, and you can get all kinds of grits in that size belt. I use www.truegrit.com. I bought the frame at Lee Tools and the motor from Grainger and a light switch from Lowes. Very easy to build. Small but handy sander.

I use it to sharpen tools as well, with a 320 grit J weight belt. Very effective.
Also, the platen is thicker than the other two, more solid and less flex, and really helps out.

Not a very good pic of it, but happened to have it handy..
Mark

« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 01:05:18 AM by Lonehowl »

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 11:24:09 AM »
I looked at the Lee Valley stripped down sander, mine is the same frame, I have had it about 30 years.  I just ordered another to make one that will use a slower RPM motor.  Thanks Mark, I have been looking for another one of that model for years.

Marvin

Offline Lonehowl

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 12:42:46 PM »
Cool Marvin, yeah I mistyped above, should have been Lee Valley Tools. They have a lot of good stuff.
Mark

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 06:32:03 PM »
Mark that is exactly the kind of information I have been looking for!! I guess I'll be doing a little searching and probably making my own.  Thanks again for all the advice everybody!!
Mark Levasseur

Brandon, VT

Offline Lonehowl

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 08:14:31 PM »
Good deal...I also need to correct the motor speed in my post..it is 1725, not 1750.
Couple more pics. Motor and side view.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 08:38:29 PM by Lonehowl »

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 09:53:21 PM »
With shipping and no motor the damages were right at $90, and they are out of stock until September, 10th.  I have a motor with th 48 frame, 1725 RPM so I should have be in good shape. 

Marvin

Offline Lonehowl

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
Id like to add that a disc sander is also extremely useful, and preferred by some guys that make thier own toneboards. I am planning on making a dedicated, stand alone one myself, just have not got around to it.
Marl

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 05:23:09 PM »
I've been doing some more research and I think that I will be getting this model from Grizzly http://www.grizzly.com/products/1-X-30-Belt-5-Disc-Sander/H6070 I like the idea of a disc sander along with the belt.  Plus for what the frame would cost me from lee valley I can get this sander.  My later down the road I will build my own with a slower speed motor but for now I think this sander will suit my needs just fine.  Thanks for all the help guys!!
Mark Levasseur

Brandon, VT