Author Topic: 1st try at segmented pen  (Read 2346 times)

BLKDOGS

1st try at segmented pen
« on: July 25, 2010, 09:32:06 PM »
Well I tried my first attempt at a segmented pen. If I can master this on a pen then when I get to making calls I would have a head start. Using Bloodwood and maple as the wood. 1st I was pleased with they way my cuts and glue lines went together and look.
 I drilled the blank and it went off center, well I think thats where I can make it better by making sure all pieces are the same size and are square in every direction. then to make sure sure the drill stays straight thats where i need some help. any tips would be great. :helpsmilie:  You can see where sizes of pieces are different.

Here is what it looked like, just stopped there because i could see it was off i will finish taking the wood off the tubes and try again. Already thinking of what I may try next. I will get it, I don't give up easy.

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
Re: 1st try at segmented pen
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 10:12:53 PM »
I think it looks good. Yeah the cuts are off a little bit but Its not a celtic knot so it is not that big of a deal. I say finish it and put that baby together.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Repeat

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 05:48:09 PM »
Also try thinner material for your knot 1/8" or 1/16th
look at utube type in pens for collage and watch video the thing I learned after trying this bunch of time is not to cut through your blank each time and your lines will line up I watched that video at least 12 times because I was still just hair off then I caught on not cutting all the way keeps lines straight  :eek: sometimes I'm little slow...
Repeat
Will Hunt For Food

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 05:52:57 PM »
I agree, finish turning that puppy and put it together. It's gonna look nice!
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

BLKDOGS

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 01:55:49 PM »
Thanks for the kind words should have got caught up on post befor last night. Turn the wood off and cleaned up the tubes to put a celtic knot on. Got it glued up last night we will show you later this week. Dang young kid motivated me.

Keep your fingers crossed

Offline Repeat

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 04:44:30 PM »
THAT KID IN THE VIDEO HAS A WRITE UP IN ONE OF THE WOOD MAGAZINES HE IS IN HIGH SCHOOL NOW AND HAS MADE A LOT OF MONEY FOR SCHOOL MAKING AND SELLING PENS SO KEEP AT IT MAYBE WE ALL WILL BE READING ABOUT YOU SOME DAY........" IF YOU TRY YOU CAN'T FAIL ONLY LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES IT IS IN NOT TRYING THAT YOU FAIL " REPEAT
Will Hunt For Food