Author Topic: crow call jig?  (Read 32093 times)

Offline Brian Watts Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
crow call jig?
« on: July 25, 2010, 09:12:39 PM »
does any one know were i can buy a jig to make wooden crow call guts? i have search alot today cannot find nothing. hope some one can help..thanks brian

Offline HuntnCarve

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: crow call jig?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:02:52 AM »
I never used a jig for crow calls.  Did them more by eye and trial and error.  I basically take two strips of wood about 3" long, x 1" x 1/2" thick and stick them together with double sided tape.   This gives me a 1" x 1" rectangular piece.  I chuck it about halfway into a Oneway chuck and turn the exposed portion round to a tapered 5/8" diameter. -I'll also turn some "O" ring grooves in this section [Latta style].
  Next I'll drill a 1/4"diameter hole about 2-3/4" into the center of the turned portion.  At this point I'll swap the piece end for end, and rechuck it.  I'll finish turning the mouth portion to shape.

Now remove from the piece from the chuck and mark about a 1/16" line on each side of the center (pieces will still be joined with the double side tape) tape line.  Now draw a "V" about 3/4" long, using the 1/16" lines as the wings, and extending it down to a point in the center of the call. -This will be the area that gets sanded away.  Now separate the taped pieces.  On a stationary belt sander, I will carefully sand this marked area away on both halves.  They should intersect and slightly overlap the end of the stopped 1/4" hole.  At this point I'll insert a 10 mil reed and give it a test for sound.  If you don't get the sound desired, sand the taper alittle more to open up the air hole. -Look in from the mouth end of the call and observe how much reed is exposed and adjust accordingly.

That'll give you a start.  After you make a few it will become second nature.  Hope this helps.

Dave
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 10:12:59 AM by HuntnCarve »
Dave Paul

HuntnCarve Calls

Offline Lower Creek Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Lower Creek Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 11:10:13 AM »
I think that needs to be added to the tutorial section!!!

I never used a jig for crow calls.  Did them more by eye and trial and error.  I basically take two strips of wood about 3" long, x 1" x 1/2" thick and stick them together with double sided tape.   This gives me a 1" x 1" rectangular piece.  I chuck it about halfway into a Oneway chuck and turn the exposed portion round to a tapered 5/8" diameter. -I'll also turn some "O" ring grooves in this section [Latta style].
  Next I'll drill a 1/4"diameter hole about 2-3/4" into the center of the turned portion.  At this point I'll swap the piece end for end, and rechuck it.  I'll finish turning the mouth portion to shape.

Now remove from the piece from the chuck and mark about a 1/16" line on each side of the center (pieces will still be joined with the double side tape) tape line.  Now draw a "V" about 3/4" long, using the 1/16" lines as the wings, and extending it down to a point in the center of the call. -This will be the area that gets sanded away.  Now separate the taped pieces.  On a stationary belt sander, I will carefully sand this marked area away on both halves.  They should intersect and slightly overlap the end of the stopped 1/4" hole.  At this point I'll insert a 10 mil reed and give it a test for sound.  If you don't get the sound desired, sand the taper alittle more to open up the air hole. -Look in from the mouth end of the call and observe how much reed is exposed and adjust accordingly.

That'll give you a start.  After you make a few it will become second nature.  Hope this helps.

Dave
John Hood
Lower Creek Game Calls
Author of "Today's Call Makers Keeping The Tradition Alive"

www.lowercreekgamecalls.com

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 01:03:19 PM »
I do mine like Dave does, except after I use the tape to stick the 2 pieces together I turn them between centers to 5/8" diameter, then I use my collet chuck to drill out the tone channel, and turn my O ring grooves.  Then remove and finish the mouth end by hand.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Brian Watts Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 03:13:25 PM »
thank you for your time with pics to show me how to do this.. :bigup: :bigup:

Dave

Offline HuntnCarve

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 04:54:04 PM »
Glad it helps!  Like I said, it's more trial and error sanding the opening ever so slightly, sticking a reed in, and testing.  I'll finish up with a sanding block to fine tune it.  Maybe even deepen the air channel at the tip with a small gouge if need be? 
For me, I like to have a "Shoulder" on the toneboard, to sit on the mouth of the call.  So that's why I resist turning the mouth piece to a straight 5/8" diameter end to end.  Works either way.  Have fun!

Dave
Dave Paul

HuntnCarve Calls

Offline hcw5205

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 09:32:48 PM »
Great job on the tutorial. I would love to see this post made sticky so it would be easier to find in the future.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 11:06:28 PM »
Done!

Nice job Dave.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline HuntnCarve

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 05:55:29 AM »
Thanks Braz!  I couldn't figure out how to make this a sticky? LOL! 

Dave
Dave Paul

HuntnCarve Calls

Offline Chris at Owens Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Owens Custom Calls
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 11:35:34 AM »
:bow:

Did you hear the collective thud as we all hit our forehead once we see how easy it is.  Many over think, well at least I think that's what you call it :rofl:

Great tutorial :bigup:

my thoughts exactly.....  now i need to find ice to put on my forhead

Offline hcw5205

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 04:25:20 PM »
Thanks Braz for making it sticky and to Dave for posting.  :punk:  :punk:

Offline D. CRUMP

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 07:06:24 PM »
 :bigup: Dave I made the Crow Guts thanks for the tutorial it was a great help my only problem is I feel like the pitch is to hi any suggestions would be greatly appreciated i am just beginning to make calls,
Thanks

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 09:51:11 AM »
I am in the process of having a crow call jig made.  It will be much like the one I had done that will do flute tone boards on one end and short-reed tone boards on the other.  I will cut off the top to the jig then run the jig through the shaper using a 1/4" winged hss cutter.  I will have to two pieces to finish just one crow boards set.  Sand to tune and form the lip grips at the ends, then cut a reed to fit.  Custom is what its all about.  My goal is to find the right depth in tone and perhaps gain more volume.  I will be using mostly brazilian ironwood for these mouthpieces.
Oh, I forgot . . . I'll have to turn a bunch of 5/8" dowels to    :gitrdone:
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".