Author Topic: How to make a squirrel call?  (Read 15146 times)

Offline Dunkler

• New Forum Member
How to make a squirrel call?
« on: June 09, 2010, 11:46:10 AM »
I have a soon to be brother-in-law that I would like to make a squirrel call, kind of as a joke of sorts. You see, whenever I have taken this dude duck hunting in the flooded timbers here in Arkansas, he always manages to spot a squirrel somehow and blast it, regardless of whether or not birds are cupping in or not! It can be annoying, as me and my other buddies are sitting there calling in mallards and all of the sudden we hear BOOM BOOM BOOM, and a little furry squirrel goes spinning cart wheels off of a tree... So, for a wedding present I was going to make him matching duck and squirrel calls... Can someone give me a tutorial on making one and how to tune them and which bellow to use. Thanks

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: How to make a squirrel call?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 08:47:35 PM »
Not too tough of a project Dunkler.  For an easy to run set, get a small bellow 'kit' from THO Al in his store.  Comes with a 1/2" bushing for your reed.  So, drill a 1/2" hole in your blank, and get it turned.  

You will find there is a lip on the bellow.  You will want to make cuts to your wood blank for this to fit.  It will not stay on the call for any length of time without some glue.  I'd recommend using Plumber's GOOP for attaching the bellow to the barrel.  

The tone board is stainless over mylar.  Put a razor blade under them, and blade them up to where the stainless stays sticking up, and you put a crease in the mylar.  I call this "blading the pizz out of it".  It is a LOT of blading compared to what you would do for a call for predator hunting.  

I'd personally get 2 or 3 kits in case you blade one too far, or can't quite find the sweet spot in one when you work with the bellow.  I personally ruin probably one out of every 10 tone boards.  Ruined is a harsh term though, because they will still work at low pitched blow-through predator call guts.  

Use the case of a Bic pen to push the toneboard and bushing into place.

Point the guts in the call away from the bellow, so when the bellow fills, it pulls air across the toneboard.  You can put them in the other way too, but make sure the toneboard is completely inside the call, or you run a BIIIIG risk of someone popping on the bellow hard and ruining the reed.  Sucking air across the toneboard, like I first said, has given me the most authentic sounds.

Total barrel length.......look at something between 2 3/4" and 3" for the whole thing, including the area to attach the bellow if I remember correctly.

No doubt you can also make a call without a bellow, using the same gut, to where you would just blow across the call in the correct cadence.  It would last longer getting beat around duck hunting, and can also double has a teal call.....again.....with the correct cadence mastered.

Parker
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 08:49:35 PM by Parker »
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 09:15:40 PM »
You cant get it explained any better than that. Good job Parker.  :bigup:
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Dunkler

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 09:52:09 PM »
You da man Parker! Thanks a bunch, this will be a good wedding gift!

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 11:48:07 PM »
 :up1:  You're welcome.  I tried my best.

I don't think I have any sitting around not completed to where I could take pictures.

I really think you may want to do the blow-through kind though.  It would go good on a duck call lanyard.

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline Dunkler

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 09:56:08 PM »
:up1:  You're welcome.  I tried my best.

I don't think I have any sitting around not completed to where I could take pictures.

I really think you may want to do the blow-through kind though.  It would go good on a duck call lanyard.

Parker

If I do the blow through kind do I still use the bellow guts right? Maybe I'm a little slow on how to make it a blow thru can you explain how to do it that way?

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 10:00:35 PM »
I think what he means by blow through is that the call would be made where you would use your own air, by blowing through the call, to make it work. In that case, you don't need the bellows.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 03:30:54 AM »
Yes, same guts, and same blading of the guts.

Just make the calls a straight 1/2" bore, and use the JC reed that Al has for squirrel calls, and a 1/2" bushing to put the reed in the call.  You will blow through the call in the cadence of a squirrel, saying "tic              tic             tic          tic               tic tic tic tic tic tic tic     tic         tic      tic       tic."

They're GOOD stuff.  They REALLY DO work well!

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline Dunkler

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 03:15:40 PM »
Thanks a bunch Parker, you really went above and beyond here!

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 05:11:51 PM »
I hope by the end of the summer to have some You Tube videos made up with the help of Aim Low Productions.  We've done a little horse trading to where I can get their help with some video making and video editing.   :bigup:

I want some "how to use" type videos of my callers.   :bigup:

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls