Author Topic: burned hedge  (Read 3861 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
burned hedge
« on: May 26, 2010, 10:15:36 PM »
Here's one I turned a couple evenings ago out of hedge.  I think I'm sticking with this insert shape, which is pretty different from the ones I've been doing...They looked too much like Echo's insert shape anyway.  I hadn't tried burning hedge before.  Started with a mini torch and propane.  Ended up using my plumbing turbo torch (big flame) and mapp gas to do the burning.  That was easier and a lot faster and more consistent than I was getting with the little torch!  Pretty happy with the sound but I'm still trying to get that ringing hail call the way I want it...Close though. 

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
Re: burned hedge
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 10:20:40 PM »
Thats Badd azzzzzz!!
I use mapp gas also. It works great. Im guessing the flame is too big for flame polishing acrylic though. What do you think? I tried it on some clear acrylic and it worked pretty good but the tip is too big to get inside the barrel.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Two Creeks Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 10:23:45 PM »
That really set that call off!
I am not a call maker, but I play one on the internet

Offline fowl attitude

• New Forum Member
    • fowlattitudecalls.com
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 10:28:55 PM »
man u did an awesome job on that call. the finish looks great.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 11:30:54 PM »

That call has a GREAT overall look to it!!!!  Very classy lines, and lovin the burnt hedge, and topped of with a nice finish!  One word of caution when burning hedge - careful not to get it too hot.  Once it cools, it will show some heat cracks/checks.  When it get's really black like that is when I've had it heat check on me.  But I love the contrasting look of the black/yellow!  And the game is to keep pushing that limit of getting it really dark without getting the heat checks.  I hope this call stays just the way it is.  It sure is a looker!!!

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 11:52:16 PM »
Thanks guys.

Agreed BigB.  I was really worried about getting it too hot, especially with how hot mapp gas burns.  I did it in stages.  Burn some, cool down.  Burn more, cool down.  So far it is holding together great.  It is really dry stuff too, which probably helps???  I did notice that the dark areas really sucked up the first coat of finish, where the remainder of the wood did not.  So two coats were definitely needed.

JCZ I haven't tried flame polishing with mapp gas.  I don't have the jewelers torch setup though, so like you said I couldn't get in the barrel anyway.  I'd worry that it gets too hot and would bubble the acrylic easier than cooler gases might.  Only one way to find out though! 

Offline Robert A.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 09:33:25 AM »
Nice Flame Job!! Mine never turn out that nice!! Over all beautiful call mate!!
Triple Shot Game Calls
http://www.tripleshotgamecalls.com/
If you don't take a chance you will never get a chance!!!

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 10:02:10 AM »
Sorry bra....osage looks best el natural to me.  But I think you did a very nice job on the burn.  I recently did one and the guy wanted a rnt style burn.  Took me three days to decide to do it...argh.

When burning hedge, I keep a wet dish rag handy.  After I burn I lay the wet rag over it to help cool it back down.  Seems to really help with checking

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 11:00:47 AM »
KC, that is one of the better duck calls posted up in a while.  That is a fantastic job all around.  I wish I could flame that stuff like that.  The Argentine OO does not flame like that.  I got some from Justin on here. Hopefully it will give me that look. I think it is coming from Indiana? 

You have made a classic there my friend!

Mutt
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 11:22:06 AM »
Thanks fellas!   :thanks:

Stump I'm all about burning stuff!  I've turned a few out of hedge and have done some turkey pots from it too.  Your unburned hedge calls look killer, I gotta say!  I like the plain look but the burning is really growing on me...People really seem to like it compared to the plain yellow. 

The dish rag idea is a good one.  I used compressed air to keep it from getting unreasonably hot and that seemed to cool it off pretty quick.

Now if I could just get the sound where i want it..... :wacko:

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 11:49:52 AM »
Well, I really like the burned look. But then again, I really like the plain look. Darn it, I just really like that Osage stuff. Great looking calls, no matter how they are done. And this one is wonderful.  :bigup:
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 12:59:27 PM »
I might not like to burn hedge but...you did a heck of a job on her bra!!!!!!!! :bigup:

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.