Author Topic: I've hit a snag...  (Read 5882 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: I've hit a snag...
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 11:00:11 PM »
My tone channels are 1/4"...I mis-spoke when I said 5/16". 

What result would I get from a smaller tone channel?  Perhaps 7/32"?  I'd think it would take less air to blow but I dunno!

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 11:12:17 PM »
I use a 7/32 tone channel  :bigup:  Nothing I can complain about.  Less air, great volume, more hold and very responsive thru the range

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 09:17:41 AM »
Thanks Stump.  Going to give that a try just to see how it does with my jig.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 02:49:20 PM »
This is a copy of the journal entry that I am writing for our son about how to make calls.

Toneboard Development

This is one of my methods to develope a toneboard.  Get handful of good sounding toneboards.  Make sure they are all of the same brand.  Now take all of the reeds out of them, then number them 1 through whatever.  Next get you a spiral notebook to make yourself a record of each change you do to each toneboard.

List the changes possible,
1.  shorter reed
  a   1/32" shorter
  b.  1/16" shorter
2   longer reed
   do the same as above
3   wider reed
   do the same as above
4   narrower reed
   do the same as above

Now for the above changes write notes to what changes happened when you changed the reed.  Make these good notes, you will use them for as long as you make calls if you are smart.

Now you need to do the same thing to the toneboards, remember the notes!!

List how you can change the toneboard.
1.   Sand the slope
      There are lot of ways you can change the slope, make it longer, sharper curve, and the list goes on.
2.   Shorten the tone channel
3.   Lengthen the tone channel
4.   Change the diameter of the bit, to larger and smaller sizes

Take the toneboards and change the slope on one of them, do this one 1/32 or less each time and then try the reeds from above.  TRY ALL OF THEM not just one or a few.  Do this over and over, until you know what each reed will do as you change the slope of the board.  Take notes..

After you do this for a while you will instinctively have ab idea as to what will happen before you get it done.  Did you remember to take notes.

This is one method to get an understanding what happens and what causes the wrong or right sounds as you work on your call.  Is it the right way, no, is it the wrong way, no, is it my only way, heck no.  But it is one way and the way the guy that taught me used.  Did I mention you need to take notes.

Go and buy a handful of good poly inserts, it will save you a lot of time and you can use them in all of the above experiments.   Yes it is a short cut, but it will save your sanity and get  you to a finished call faster than doing  it the hard way.  Don't forget to keep the notes.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 09:16:52 PM »
That is really good stuff right there. Thanks Marvin.  :bigup:
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 10:54:37 PM »
Good notes Marvin.  I've kept notes on what I've done, as well as hanging onto just about every duck call I've made thus far.  Therefore I have actual example inserts that show my successes and mistakes...That has helped quite a bit.