Author Topic: I've hit a snag...  (Read 5878 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
I've hit a snag...
« on: May 13, 2010, 09:19:50 PM »
Seems like the quality of the sound of my duck calls has plateaued, and it isn't where I want it to be.  I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice or things to change, so I'll describe what I'm getting and what I'm trying for.

Currently my calls pass pretty good for a timber call.  They're ducky and sound pretty good for low to moderate volume calling.  They take a lot of air to blow and I hate that.  They don't get hail call volume like I'd like to have.  I'm using a river mallard public jig.  I drill the tone channel to 5/16" and ream the exhaust end out to maybe 1/4".  I'm using .010" reeds.  I've screwed around with where to stop the tone channel in the curve of the soundboard, as well as what seems like a million reed lengths.

My benchmark for comparison has been Echo's inserts.  That's what I'd love to get my calls sounding like someday.  I have an RNT call that my calls sound better than, but I've never been impressed with it.  I'm looking for something that'll blow easier with less air, and will get some better volume.  It would be easy to copy one of those, but that seems unethical and it just isn't something I'd be proud of.

Maybe I'm just limited with the public jig and the only way to get the sound I want is to make my own shape of toneboard, but I don't know where to start. 

Would you guys have any suggestions, especially on the fact that my calls take too much air?  Smaller tone channel diameter?  Don't ream the exhaust end?  At this point I'd try about anything.  Dozens and dozens of inserts haven't got me there.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Re: I've hit a snag...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 09:36:18 PM »

Show a pic of the toneboard, side view of it would be best.  And then show a pic of the exhaust end of the insert.

It could be a lot of things, so the pics will be the best place to start.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 10:02:21 PM »
How deep are you drilling the exhaust opening?

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 11:09:52 PM »
KC, I have the exact same jig and have recently had some help with a few inserts from a fellow call maker (thanks again) I was having some of the same problems as well as a bad locking problem. Well long story short I had .008 reed some how and changing to .010 helped the lock ups. I also was not drilling my tone channel long enough. I added a little length to it and they are easier to blow now. I also use a dremel too to dig out the channel some to make it deeper and it seems to help also.
I do think they are harded to blow that some other calls I have but Im happy with them for now. If I stumble upon something else I will let you know.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 12:02:58 AM »
Thanks guys.  JCZ, I'm feeling better having read what you said.  I'll post some pics in a day or two.....I have to have hand surgery tomorrow so I'll be a bit preoccupied for a day or two! 

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 12:12:14 AM »
Good luck on the surgery and follow the Doctor's orders to the letter.  What you mess up in your body while you are young will come back to haunt you when you get old.

Marvin

Offline Dunkler

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 09:21:41 AM »
I use this same Jig. I had to drill the tone channel longer and open up the exhaust a bit more
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 09:39:30 AM by Dunkler »

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 10:28:05 AM »
 Really, the 5/16" tonechannel is a BIG reason it's not efficient, and probably why it has trouble with the hail as well. Run it at 1/4" and make your adjustments and you'll get back some of that top end and ya won't pass out doing a 6 note hail. I would run a straight exhaust until you get everything else figured out, then start opening it up bit by bit until you find what you're after. The biggest thing is to make changes 1 at a time until you have that piece of the puzzle figured, then move on to the next piece.

You can do alot with a public jig if you try, I reground mine to a custom profile. I also routinely add a an 1/8" to my open water tonebards by cutting the profile and then moving the insert ahead in the jig and recutting the cork notch 1/8" deeper. you are only limited by your imagination, so get to making some chips and keep good notes!

Good luck Bud, you can do this....

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 11:01:23 AM »
Surgery went well....Kinda still loopy though.  Looking forward to having the use of my hand back...It hasn't been right for months.

You know, now that I re-read my post I'm wondering if my drill bit is 5/16" or 1/4".  Gonna have to look at that.  5/16" seems awful big...I'm betting it is 1/4".

Bob I never thought about cutting the profile then advancing the insert to cut the cork notch.  Simple stuff like that often eludes me.   :wacko:

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 02:18:52 PM »
I got tired of trying to figure out the correct tc length myself so I drilled all the way thru. I then used jb weld and started filling in the tc. After a bit I figured out where I needed to be and made another insert. She was money.
If you go to far and shorten the to much use an exacto knife and remove some

Stump
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 04:31:30 PM »
I got tired of trying to figure out the correct tc length myself so I drilled all the way thru. I then used jb weld and started filling in the tc. After a bit I figured out where I needed to be and made another insert. She was money.
If you go to far and shorten the to much use an exacto knife and remove some

Stump

I've done the same thing with Bondo and it works pretty well Stump.  Haven't drilled all the way through though, but that ain't a bad idea.  That's probably the best idea compared to wasting perfectly good wood on dozens of failed inserts.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 04:56:24 PM »

I've done the same thing with Bondo and it works pretty well Stump.  Haven't drilled all the way through though, but that ain't a bad idea.  That's probably the best idea compared to wasting perfectly good wood on dozens of failed inserts.

Buy a handful of 5/8" dowels at the hardware store and start drilling multiple depths, then cut like they are inserts.  Cheap and fast way to find where all of the "magic" spots are.  And keep notes of what happens when you change things.  Failure to keep notes can be the downfall of a callmaker.  When I first came on the forums I mentioned keeping notes, a lot of people laughed and scoffed at the idea of taking notes.  Now I see a lot of references of callmakers telling the new guys to take notes so it must be catching.

Marvin

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 06:48:51 PM »

Buy a handful of 5/8" dowels at the hardware store and start drilling multiple depths, then cut like they are inserts.  Cheap and fast way to find where all of the "magic" spots are.  And keep notes of what happens when you change things.  Failure to keep notes can be the downfall of a callmaker.  When I first came on the forums I mentioned keeping notes, a lot of people laughed and scoffed at the idea of taking notes.  Now I see a lot of references of callmakers telling the new guys to take notes so it must be catching.

Marvin

That's cuz ya da man Marvin!!! :punk:
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 08:18:41 PM »
You hit that one dead center Jester. He sure is!  :bigup:
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 10:57:39 PM »
Dowels are a spectacular idea Marvin...Much cheaper, faster and easier than making actual inserts.