Author Topic: Us: lots , sage rats: 0  (Read 2144 times)

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
  • Eames Custom Calls
Us: lots , sage rats: 0
« on: May 10, 2010, 04:14:39 PM »
We drove over to eastern Oregon for a 1 day sage rat shoot to help out an old farming buddy of mine. Sage rats are a ground squirrel that digs huge holes in the fields, making for alot of wear and tear on the farm equipment. Four of us shot well over 1000 rounds of rimfire apiece( .22 and .17HMR), laying waste to every head poking up that we saw. Even the local population of bald eagles took notice, perching up on the wheel lines, waiting for thier chance to help in the clean up effort.

I was breaking in my new varmint rifle, a Savage 93R17 with a nice 6x-24x 44MM Nikon, and it performed well! I have a bunch of pictures on the digital camera that I'm having trouble getting off and on to the phototbucket, but these are from my phone.

I was darned impressed with the performance of the .17HMR, connecting on shots well past the 200 yard range. Looking forward to getting out a few more times before the big hibernation hits.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline Hayes

• Custom Call Maker
Re: Us: lots , sage rats: 0
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 04:26:54 PM »
Sure looks like tons of fun....I had my first opportunity a few years back in South Dakota to shoot Prairie Dogs and I had a blast....Those long shots are something that we don't get too much of around here.

Good luck on your next outing!

Hayes
There is no graduation from the school of the outdoors. 
Horace Kephart

In the woods we return to reason and faith.
Ralph Waldo Emerson