Author Topic: metal bands  (Read 6080 times)

Offline Troy of Run -N- Gun Game Calls

• New Forum Member
metal bands
« on: February 03, 2008, 03:28:23 PM »
I have a question,when I am buffing my metal bands I get this black dust on my bands how do you get it off.And can you still use the same buffing wheel on wood after that because now it is black.Or am I doing something wrong.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: metal bands
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 03:42:43 PM »
Al will weigh in on this on in a bit and give the correct answer. He is an expert on this. But I do want to say that do not use the same wheel for wood that you have used for the bands. It will just move all that black into the pours of the wood, and then you will have a real mess. I have a wheel for tripoli and one for white diamond that I use exclusively for the metal bands.

Also, when I am buffing my calls that have a metal band installed, I put that blue painters tape on the metal band so I don't get the metal fouling up my buffing wheel.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline rwehuntn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 06:01:58 PM »
The black "Dust" you get after buffing metal is the metal you are removing from the item. Any metal polish such as brasso or flitz and a clean cloth sould take it off the band when you get done buffing it.

Definitely do not use the same wheels for metal and wood. I do the same as Braz with the tape when I buff a call or apply finish.

rwehuntn

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 06:09:25 PM »
Yup, don't use the same buffing pads to buff metal and wood.   Especially maple and other light woods..

You can wash the buffing wheel in the sink with soap and some bleach, then put it back on the buffer and turn it on.  If you stand in front of it, you will get wet LOL  but it does dry them out pretty fast.

Here is a tip for cleaning your buffing wheels.   Get one of those wire file cleaners.  Looks like a brush with little tiny metal teath.   Works great to clean and dress your buffing wheels.

Craft supplies has buffing wheels pretty cheap.   The ones you get at Home Depot and Lowes are too "hard" for buffing wood and metal bands. 

Al @ THO

Offline Troy of Run -N- Gun Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 08:11:35 PM »
Thanks guys.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 09:46:35 PM »
Al, when buffing the metal, do you still use the linen for the Tripoli and the linen/flannel for the white diamond? I believe buying the wheels from WoodturningZ is actually the least expensive place to buy. He is a dealer for Penn State, and actually cuts their price a bit for the exact same item they show in their catalog. I buy quite a few items from him.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 09:49:27 PM by Braz »
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 10:07:42 PM »
I use Jewlers rouge to buff my bands out.  I use a modified burring wheel from Home Depot. 

To modify it, you have to take all the threads that hold the wheel together out.  Just use a small pair of scissors or a small knife and rip them all out.  Leave the last ring of threads  in to hold it all together.

I buy very few new wheels.  I wash them when they get dirty.  I think it makes them softer and they work better over time.

Al @ THO