Author Topic: wall thickness of stopper (help)  (Read 1061 times)

Offline michi-gander

• New Forum Member
wall thickness of stopper (help)
« on: May 01, 2010, 05:54:18 AM »
I'm a little stumped, when I drill a 1/2" hole in my stopper, turn down to fit in 3/4" barrel with O ring grooves does that safely leave enough material ? And also if U use 5/8" guts do U open up the stopper end of barrel to 7/8" or use a different method. A photo of goose call opened up would be great. thank-u so much for any help!! :thanks:
Life is short , so live it , learn it , and enjoy it !!!

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Re: wall thickness of stopper (help)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 09:35:26 AM »

It all depends on the materials you are using on your exhaust pieces, to determine if the tennon thickness will be ok.  If you are using acrylic, then most calls have a 7/8" tennon with a 5/8" bore.  If you are using wood, then there are a couple of tricks to getting that thin tennon to survive.  Jester has a technique posted on here to cut a groove in the tennon, wrap thread in it, and then fill in the area with glue.  Other folks use a gutsert on their wood exhausts.  

On the goose calls that I make, they take a 5/8" gut and I drill the stopper 5/8" all the way through.  The part of the stopper that fits inside the barrel is a 7/8" tennon.

Brian
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:39:36 AM by BigB »
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 09:44:33 AM »

Here is a good read with some pictures of goose calls that aren't assembled.

http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,1820.0.html

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline michi-gander

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 12:03:13 PM »
Thank you Brian, saved me some headache and wood! ::)

Chris
Life is short , so live it , learn it , and enjoy it !!!