Author Topic: a couple questions about stabilized woods  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
a couple questions about stabilized woods
« on: April 21, 2010, 07:18:07 PM »
I got a couple nice stabilized box elder blanks from staburl and before I screw them up making a stupid mistake I have a coulple questions I'm hoping you guys can answer.  I've always wanted a call made from the stuff so this one's for me!

First...Drilling.  I usually use automatic transmission fluid when drilling acrylic.  Is that ok on stabilized wood or will it stain/soak in?  Other recommendations?

Second...Sanding/polishing.  I like to sand them to very, very fine grits (1500+) and then use plastic polish to get it shining.  Any problem using plastic polish on stabilized wood assuming all the voids are filled with CA glue?  Is wet sanding ok???

Last...Is a dip in spar ok or is it best to just polish the blank and leave it alone?  I know there are closely guarded super duper secret techniques out there that nobody wants to divulve but I'm hoping somebody will throw me a bone.  This stuff isn't cheap enough to experiment with.

Thanks, this stuff is EXPENSIVE and I'd hate to have to throw it across the shop after ruining it.  I'd probably break something!   :wacko:

Offline HuntnCarve

• New Forum Member
Re: a couple questions about stabilized woods
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 08:33:35 PM »
I don't have much experience with working this stuff.  But the one thing I would probably steer clear of, is using transmission fluid when drilling.  Mainly to avoid "potential" discoloration.  Just drill it with a sharp bit, clearing the chips as you go. Don't let the bit heat up.

Dave

Dave Paul

HuntnCarve Calls

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 09:05:16 PM »
Treat the blanks just like wood!!!!!!!!!
1.  No need for ATF!!!!!!!!!!!
2.  Sand and grain fill same as wood.  Stabilized blanks love to be polished with plastic polish like Novus
3.  And sapr works great on stabilized woods as well

ALL of the blanks from staburl are top notch.  Have fun and be prepared for some nice looking call parts

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline FNA Custom Calls By David Mitchell.

• New Forum Member
  • Fowl n Attitude Custom Calls
    • FowlnAttitude Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 10:23:53 PM »
I use a regular jobber bit in that. No fluid for me. Slow and easy, gets hot quick. I've seen people use the polish on it and it looks great. I use a ca finish on mine. I just like a high gloss! Smells terrible when drilling and turning but other than that, use sharp tools. It's just like a real hard,hard,hard wood. :bigup: Go for it and give us some pics.

David

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 11:57:25 PM »
Thanks guys!   :bow:

I turned my first stabilized barrel...The first half of this call.  Man that stuff is gorgeous.  I sanded to 800 and buffed it on the Beal with tripoli and then white diamond.  Perfectly flawless non-finish. 

Another question!  Is it absolutely necessary to put a finish on stabilized wood calls?  I'm sure it is better but is it truly necessary?  CA finishes hate me.  I've never been shown how to do it and as much as I read about it I can't seem to make it work.   :censored:

Offline FNA Custom Calls By David Mitchell.

• New Forum Member
  • Fowl n Attitude Custom Calls
    • FowlnAttitude Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 12:01:24 AM »
KC, you dont have to put anything on it as far as I know. It is acrylic impregnated so it is mostly waterproof. Ca is easy unless you make it hard on yourself. If you decide to try it and need some help let me know. I'll do what I can. I'm no expert on it( learned from Al's tutorial) but its as easy as any to  me but twice as fast.

David

Offline fowl attitude

• New Forum Member
    • fowlattitudecalls.com
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 09:00:54 AM »
Thanks guys!   :bow:

I turned my first stabilized barrel...The first half of this call.  Man that stuff is gorgeous.  I sanded to 800 and buffed it on the Beal with tripoli and then white diamond.  Perfectly flawless non-finish. 

Another question!  Is it absolutely necessary to put a finish on stabilized wood calls?  I'm sure it is better but is it truly necessary?  CA finishes hate me.  I've never been shown how to do it and as much as I read about it I can't seem to make it work.   :censored:

ill pm u a secret if you promise not to tell anyone

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 09:35:25 AM »
ill pm u a secret if you promise not to tell anyone

I promise, I promise!!!   :helpsmilie:

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 09:38:33 AM »
KC, you dont have to put anything on it as far as I know. It is acrylic impregnated so it is mostly waterproof. Ca is easy unless you make it hard on yourself. If you decide to try it and need some help let me know. I'll do what I can. I'm no expert on it( learned from Al's tutorial) but its as easy as any to  me but twice as fast.

David

Might take you up on that David.  As far as I'm concerned it doesn't get any better than your work with stabilized wood.  I know CA's a good finish but I'm shocked to hear you say it is easy/fast!  If that's the case I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Offline fowl attitude

• New Forum Member
    • fowlattitudecalls.com
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 09:57:09 AM »
pm sent