Author Topic: the learning curve  (Read 2457 times)

aprilheadhunter

the learning curve
« on: April 14, 2010, 11:22:36 PM »
I got my wood lathe on Tuesday and finished my 1st turnings.  I am following a huge learning curve. 

PEN #1
I hit a knot in a piece of olive wood and it split all the way to the insert. so I cut the brow tine off of a shed antler and used it for the 2nd piece of "wood".  I got up early to finish the pen before hunting and put the tranny in the wrong piece and backwards.  I had to use my lathe like a press to get the tranny out and managed to break the freshly turned antler.
the finished pen is olive wood piece #1 and antler piece #2

PEN #2
When I was ordering my pen making stuff from psi the wife wanted a pen made out of blue box elder.
For some reason I thought pen #2 would go smoother than pen #1.  Everything was going good and one of the pieces split at the edge.  then the other one spit.  I didn't notice until i was taking them off of the mandrel that I forgot to glue the inserts in.
I went for what Braz called target wood that I cut up on my "band saw".  I had the blanks drilled, inserts glued in and was trimming the ends.  When I found out the glue hadn't set up on one of the inserts and i had trimmed one of the blanks to short while pushing the insert out the other end of the blank.
I went back to the shed antler pile because I didn't want to spend another hour at the "band saw".

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Re: the learning curve
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 09:45:50 AM »
Everyone has done stuff like that.    It just happens.     You're right, it is a learning experience.    I always say that every call I make, I try to do better than the last one.   It's the only way to improve.   

Those pens came out nice though, and now you have some knowledge and experience behind you and your next ones will go a lot smoother.

Remember, you can post your pens for sale in the Other Turnings area on the site when you get ready.  There's no charge, and I am sure some folks would love an antler pen or other fancy wood one.   One of my most cherished possessions is a pen that Hammer turned for me.   Lots of folks have tried to nab it, but I carry a 9mm  for just that reason  :devil2: :devil2:

Al @ THO

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 11:45:24 AM »
Nice looking pens.  I do a few every so often to remind me that everything isn't always easy.  A hint, buy extra tubes, lots of extra tubes that way you will have replacements when the inevitable happens.  They make great gifts for the family and friends and extra spending money.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

aprilheadhunter

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 12:31:53 PM »
thanks a bunch guys!

I should probably post a picture of my "band saw" so you get the joke.

here is my drill press.  It was a real pain to turn the deep freeze on edge with out every thing spilling out.  :tt2:

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 03:38:26 PM »
That Olivewood will get ya once but after that you'll start to like the way it turns, sands & finishes. Light cuts with sharp tools & you'll have it down to pen size with no problems in no time. I'd venture to say I've lost a blank or 3 or 4 too.  :yes: :yes:

Your perseverance & creativity paid off tho. They look very nice.
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline Repeat

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 10:45:14 PM »
Real nice looking pens a great save..
One thing I have learned in the past few days specially if using the slim line pens is to leave the bushing end just little proud there because when you set the clip in place by pressing it in it bows out the tube just few 1,000's
Because that was cracking my wood blanks also try to trim the blank down so there is no gap at the end of the blank and tube on clip end make sure they are flush! it has not been a issue for the antler tubes I have been making for my bullet pens
Repeat
Will Hunt For Food

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 09:04:16 AM »
 :rofl:   :gun_bandana:  Sounds like an adventure!  You did a heck of a job saving them!

When I break a chunk of wood, I like to throw it across my shop.   :up1:  Makes me feel better, and keeps me from trying to waste time looking at it, thinking I'm going to save something that I know I can't.   :up1:

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls