Author Topic: Call for the governor  (Read 3815 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Call for the governor
« on: April 08, 2010, 12:03:19 AM »
I was recently to make these calls by Keith Mark, who hosts MacMillan River Adventures, a hunting TV show on the Outdoor Channel. I've made calls for Keith before and have had the privelege to have my calls featured on his show.  I contacted him a year ago and asked if he'd give my calls a try.  As it turned out, he lives not far from me and his day job office is in the same little city I live in...So he was at my house a week later.  He recently emailed me and told me that he's the celebrity guide for the annual Kansas governor's turkey hunt...Quite a big event. He asked that I make a couple calls, one for him and one for the governor to commemorate the hunt. He'll be presenting the call to the gov at the banquet that celebrates the event later this month, and they'll use the calls on the hunt.  Regardless of their politics, KS governors go hunting at this event for 24 straight years (NWTF TV showed Kathleen Sebelius taking a bird a couple/few years back), which is pretty cool.

So I guess this is kind of a gloat. Pretty proud to have been asked to do this for the governor. The good PR never hurts either!

The calls are claro walnut. The gov's call is pretty highly figured, and Keith's has some nice curl but isn't quite as spectacular (didn't have two pieces of the really cool stuff). The surfaces are anodized aluminum. I had a local engraver do the lettering, and of course the engraved the wrong (unblasted) side.  :censored:  So I beadblasted the big gray area on the surfaces to make them functional.  The strikers are claro walnut and pecan. Each call has two inlays and each striker has three...The inlays are brass key machine shavings from the hardware store in clear inlace resin. Subtle but it catches the light nicely. I finished the calls with three coats of waterlox and buffed out the shine of the last coat with 0000 steel wool and applied a coat of furniture wax. So they're not super glossy...More of a hand rubbed look, which is what I was going for.

Offline FNA Custom Calls By David Mitchell.

• New Forum Member
  • Fowl n Attitude Custom Calls
    • FowlnAttitude Custom Calls
Re: Call for the governor
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 12:10:52 AM »
Thats way cool KC!! Congrats :bigup: and a pair of fine lookin calls!!

David

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 12:14:30 AM »
Super looking calls and something you should rightfully gloat about. Super honor for sure.  :bigup:
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Two Creeks Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 06:18:21 AM »
Killer stuff! I replied to your thread at the creek. Im waiting for an anti to pop up over there LOL
I am not a call maker, but I play one on the internet

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 07:39:02 AM »
 :bigup:  great calls. Im sure there will be some interest in the calls by some of the others at the event.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 08:58:22 AM »
 :2up:  Nice work for sure!   :rockon:

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
Killer stuff! I replied to your thread at the creek. Im waiting for an anti to pop up over there LOL

Thanks everybody.  Two Creeks, there's occasionally someone at Sawmill Creek that will bag on anybody that makes anything hunting-related.  The mods are pretty good about not tolerating anti's, but I know they've discouraged people that have showed dead animal pics considering it is a woodworking site.  There was a guy a while back that posted a pic of a deer he took an I'm thinking a pen he made with the antler or something like that...Some anti got on there and caused quite a stir....And made himself look stupid in the process.  I PM'd that member and patted him on the back for keeping out of the fight and doing a good job of representing those of us that hunt.

Offline Hayes

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 12:59:50 PM »
Very nice work as usual KC.....That sounds like a real honor...I feel sure that they will like them too!!!!!

Hayes
There is no graduation from the school of the outdoors. 
Horace Kephart

In the woods we return to reason and faith.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline M. Yingling

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 07:09:47 PM »
Very nice great work  :bigup:

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 05:22:46 PM »
Got a call from Keith the other night saying that he took two birds with his call and the governor got a nice bird as well.  The governor loved the call and passed along his thanks through Keith.  Keith said that he gave my calls some great attention during the filming for his TV show...Gotta love PR like that.  I should have some pics in the next couple days.

Offline Doss

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 05:31:08 PM »
that is an awesome story for sure!
Where's my turkey?

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 09:54:22 AM »
Still waiting on the governor's pics, but here are the one's Keith sent me of his two birds:

And here's one of Keith and Governor Mark Parkinson at the banquet:

Offline Dunkler

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 10:59:23 AM »
Man, I have never turkey hunted, and don't know the first thing about making a pot call, but I can recognize talent and craftsmanship when I see it and buddy you are a very talented craftsman! :2up:

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 11:00:26 AM »
Thanks Dunkler. 

Offline Robert A.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 08:10:22 AM »
That is awesome KC!! Great looking Calls and story to boot, not to mention some good PR!!
Triple Shot Game Calls
http://www.tripleshotgamecalls.com/
If you don't take a chance you will never get a chance!!!