Author Topic: A good use for scraps  (Read 5393 times)

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
A good use for scraps
« on: June 23, 2008, 12:27:31 AM »
I save even my smaller scraps and sometimes for a change make some fishing lures. The boys and others are always happy to "Test them out" for me. Just hardly ever get one back...LOL I guess they stoled them fair and square...Better that than getting in trouble some other way. I don't install hooks until right before I hand them over to someone. Saves on the leaks around here.... :D

Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008
heirloomgamecalls@yahoo.com

Offline Curmudgeon

• New Forum Member
    • Tail Gunner Duck Calls
Re: A good use for scraps
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »
Those are sweet! I was going to make a mess of top water lures on my lathe when I got it. Turned a duck call first and all the lure kits are still in the bag 7 months later. How long does it take you to fininsh & paint one of those?
June 2009 Call Makers Throwdown Winner !

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 03:13:09 PM »
Thanks, I usually wait until I have a few made up and ready to paint and finish before I get all the stuff out to do it. But when I do, It's a good "rainy day" project. Not real difficult but time consuming. Also a great project fr the kids when they are bored.
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008

Offline Hawks Feather

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 11:10:57 PM »
Hey, those look pretty neat, but how do you hold the fish on without any hooks?   ::)   O.K. that was a joke, poor one, but a joke none the less.  I am well aware that you can put the hooks on whenever you want and they will keep and travel much better this way.  They are nice looking.  What woods do you usually use?  Have you noticed much difference in action between a similar sized/shaped lure that is made from a light weight wood (soft maple for example) and a heavier weight wood (blackwood, etc.)?

Thanks,

Jerry
Hawk's Feather Calls
Jerry L. Latta
220 Main Street
Defiance, OH  43512-2316
Hawks_Feather@mac.com
http://www.hawksfeathercustompredatorcalls.com/
CPCMCA  http://www.custompredatorcallassociation.com/

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 12:11:07 AM »
Thanks Jerry,
You know, there is a difference but sometimes not as much s one might think. I hguess it depends more on how you set the lip. I ade one awhile back for a friend who I always said was "out of kilter"...LOL So I made one with the lip and hooks and all off to the side. It was one like in the top pictur. Anyways, when you give the line a jerk, it would go striaght tail up and then sort of corkscrew down a bit before leveling out and coming back up. My buddy took it out, just to be sure he could give me a proper hard time and ended up with 9 bass in 40 minutes. Most about 2 lbs range but they sure loved that kaddywhompus lure...LOL
These lures are mostly woods like cherry, cedar, a bit of mohogny, poplar and even walnut in there. It's fun to cut one out, sand it and the fish it. Sometimes it works, others it doesn't but we have fun with it. Even some of the younger kids, like to use their clored pencils, paints and crayons and color them. Then a bit of clear coat and they're fishing.  ;D
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008

Offline Hawks Feather

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 09:00:49 AM »
Thanks for the information.  I am always looking for things to dabble with and this one looks like it would be fun to try.  Not saying I would be any good at it, but it looks like a project that could keep me busy for "more than a few" hours.

Thanks again,

Jerry
Hawk's Feather Calls
Jerry L. Latta
220 Main Street
Defiance, OH  43512-2316
Hawks_Feather@mac.com
http://www.hawksfeathercustompredatorcalls.com/
CPCMCA  http://www.custompredatorcallassociation.com/

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 02:40:25 PM »
Just to toss a bit of a wet blanket on this discussion, but at the same time keep everyone legal, you need to be aware that there is a law regarding fishing tackle. It is called the Federal Aid in Sport Fish Restorations Fund, and mandates a 10% fee be collected on the sales of all fishing tackle. Which is not a problem if you are not selling. But, in addition, the fishing tackle companies have trademark registration. Many, if not all, of the companies have the shapes, and sometimes the colors, of the lures trademarked. They can come after you for making one like theirs, even if it is for your own use. With that in mind, be aware of the photos you post. Sorry for being a wet blanket.  :(
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 06:13:17 PM »
I understand Braz. Thanks for the info. I'll need to look into that more. It's stating to look like they just don't want folks to do what they can to get by anymore. OH well, most if not all are usually given away for some reason or another.
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008