Author Topic: Neck knife thong  (Read 10858 times)

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
Neck knife thong
« on: October 07, 2009, 10:29:12 PM »
Well this is not exactly a call lanyard.... ::)

We just returned from a long long vacation that took us from Seattle, to Moab, to Colorado Springs, to Yellowstone and home.  3500 miles total driving.

As always, I kept my eyes peeled for a new knife.  In Manitou Springs, CO we found a small Muzzleloader/Reenactor shop that had a few choice items I had to have.

I found a small knife made by Dean Oliver (Oregon) hidden away in their display case, that really caught my eye. 

It came with a thin leather cord that I knew could be improved upon. 

The neck pouch looked quite serviceable and only needed a new braid to bring it up to snuff.

So I broke out my kangaroo and did a simple braid for it.... I cut 4-long strings and 2 shorter ones, greased and middled them and did a bit of 6-plait flat for behind my neck.  Then dropped the short strings to the core and did 4-plait round down to the sheath.  A simple loop through the sheath holes and back braided finished it up.

A really nice, very small, light neck knife.  With a bit of edge work I got it to a nice thin handy tool.

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
Re: Neck knife thong
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 11:01:09 PM »
Im not sure what is better.... the knife or the braid you did. Great find and great work. :bigup:
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 09:31:03 AM »
I think they are both excellent!   Really nice looking knife.   You got a hot set up now for sure.

Al @ THO

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 07:21:30 PM »
Thanks guys.  The little knife is working.  Over the past years I have bought quite a few neck knives and every single one of them have ended up stored away.  I think they were all just too big and heavy to daily wear.  This one is so light I don't even notice it and so far has stayed with me (going on 3+ weeks).  I think this may be the necker I was looking for.

Amerflyer48

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 11:55:21 PM »
lanˇyard also lanˇiard n.

1.  Nautical A short rope or gasket used for fastening something or securing rigging.
2. A cord worn around the neck for carrying something, such as a knife or whistle.

[Perhaps alteration (influenced by yard, spar) of Middle English lainere, strap, from Old French laniere, from lasne, perhaps alteration (influenced by las, string) of *nasle, lace, of Germanic origin.]

Yep it is a lanyard ! ! !  :bigup:  and a darn nice one...

the neck knife looks handy  I may have to seek my own...

John

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 12:12:02 PM »
Thanks John.

This knife a some of its cousins can be found at Ragweed Forge.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/HistoricalKnifeCatalog.html

I have the smallest trade knife listed plus the additional sheath.  Ragnar lists the maker as Dean Orman but I am pretty sure he really is Dean Oliver.

His wife Midge made the little sheath.

Amerflyer48

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 10:25:21 PM »
Now you got me thinking,.. :pot:

a duck call lanyard with a skinner sheath  :eek: ...  man and you sent me the web address ... another project on the list...that is a sweet little knife..

:bigup: you are already there all that is left is to cow hitch a few drops on it and  we can see if the idea "sings" and should be evolved...

John

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 12:54:30 PM »
Run with it John.....

Here are some more in hand shots of the knife....this is the smallest one in the series...so depending on your needs you may want to upsize.

The wide Spanish notch area seems to naturally accommodate these two wrapped finger holds.

Had to shoot these in my left hand as I could not hold the camera. 

Amerflyer48

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 03:37:32 PM »
 :eek:

That should do to open up ducks and geese...also don't want to weigh down too much..

Beautiful knife,.. Yep I will be ordering one here soon.. with sheath   :bigup: Thanks for the hand size shots so I could get some sense of scale..

John

Offline schwert

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 06:28:41 PM »
Yeah this knife is so light that adding it to a lanyard would be essentially unnoticeable.  It is a pretty handy size too.  So far I have not had to open up any ducks yet but it sure works on boxes :up1:

The sheath works quite well too.  I can one-hand the knife in and out.  In I have to be sort of careful to avoid cutting my braid, but it can be done pretty easily.

The sheath has two simple holes in the back of it, so it could be hitched or stitched close to a traditional duck lanyard rather than swinging on a drop, or used at the join (sort of where a keeper would go), for looks and function all rolled into one.

Offline Risingmoonpc

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 06:59:22 PM »
Bulleit thats my brand nothin better.

Offline JThomas

• New Forum Member
    • http://skullpointgamecalls.com
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 08:49:43 PM »
Nice,
  :bigup: