Author Topic: grunt call finish  (Read 7726 times)

bp179

grunt call finish
« on: January 29, 2008, 06:46:16 PM »
I was just wondering what kind of finish most of yall use on your grunt calls? Thanks ???
            Bryan

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Re: grunt call finish
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 06:58:07 PM »
I have used an Oil and wax finish on most of my calls.  Teak Oil actually, which can be purchased at either Home Depot or Lowes.  It is made by a company called Watco.

Now, I use a CA Glue finish on a lot of my calls, especially those that I think will never be hunted with, but even at that, it is a very hard and durable finsih.

Parker makes a lot of really nice gurnters and I am sure he will have some ideas too.

AL @ THO

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 07:32:24 PM »
One coat of oil, either Teak or Danish, to pop the grain and then polyurethane for the field grade versions.  For the fancier ones I use Minwax Antique Oil, which is not an oil but really a varnish concoction, if you put in enough coats it gets a finish that is like a high dollar gun stock, actually identical to True Oil Gun stock finish. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Homochitto Hollow

• New Forum Member
  • Most Wanted
    • Homochitto Hollow Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 10:18:13 PM »
I use Butcher Block oil and sand to 12000 with Micro.
Bubba

Homochitto Hollow Woodworks

www.homochittohollow.com

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 10:18:59 PM »
You should definately take DC's advice.  I'm going to be changing my finishes VERY soon.  Deft used to be my fav, but I've got a duck call coming back to me from TN this week that I guess is a mess.

I'm going to be looking into a polyurethane finish from here.

One of my friends is on the verge of talking me in to a high grade laquer finish though.  (Deft is NOT high grade he says, and he's in the professional woodworking business, so his word is gold to me).

(You definately caught me on a day when I don't have a good answer for you, but I like DC's answers).   :P

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Most Wanted
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 10:21:40 PM »
Parker...For what it's worth, I use a high gloss Spar Urethane on all my duck calls.  Spray it on while turnig on the lathe.
Bubba

www.homochittohollow.com

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 11:46:54 PM »
If that butchers block oil does not have some sort of finish in it, such as varnish, lacquer etc. it is not giving you much protection.  From what I have read the spar urethane is a good finish, I think the duck callmakers use it because of ease of use in dipping the calls.  But I dip mine in diluted polyurethane, it works and is cheaper.

My choice is the Minwax Wipe On Poly, very little odor and fast drying.  Lacquer is out of the question because of the fumes, tried it once and that was once too many.  With the Wipe On Poly I can even put the finish on in the house which helps when it is cold or the wind is blowing.  Today we had 40 plus MPH wind with a good dust storm, I just packed my toys and went inside and did my finish work at the kitchen counter.  I do have a very understanding wife, she will even help with the callmaking when I ask.

Marvin

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 12:52:30 AM »
Parker...For what it's worth, I use a high gloss Spar Urethane on all my duck calls.  Spray it on while turnig on the lathe.

What do you do to the insides of the barrels HH?  I'm highly interested to hear about your method. 

I bought a.....I think quart of the stuff to try here just two weeks ago, but have not gotten around to doing it.  The spray cans were too rich for my blood. 

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Most Wanted
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 10:09:06 AM »
For the inside of my calls, I sand and then use a 12 gauge shotgun bore cleaner to apply the spar......I use the spar due to its great indoor outdoor properties.....not to mention the gloss.......
Bubba

www.homochittohollow.com