Author Topic: need honest opinions please  (Read 11071 times)

Offline swobg

• New Forum Member
need honest opinions please
« on: February 09, 2010, 12:39:02 PM »
Hi guys.  Pretty much new here and I'm looking for some honest opinions on my work.
I've just started making some lanyards and game totes recently and supplied a couple friends with some work but I'm also starting to sell the products.  Sometimes your friends will tell you what they think you want to hear but I need honest critiques from those who know - I've visited this site many times for info and direction and it's been the best help ever.  Thanks to anyone wishing to help out.

I appreciate it.
Tom

Big Trestle

Re: need honest opinions please
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 07:26:38 PM »
Great looking lanyards  :bigup:

Tim

Offline SP180

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 10:29:58 PM »
Looking great. Love the designs.
Schizo-Calls

Offline swobg

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 08:57:47 AM »
thank you very much for the opinions thus far - your consideration is appreciated - I guess if I have one problem it's joining one end of the lanyard to the other - example: cobra braid to the snake braid - without it looking like a mass of knots - I have tried braiding the tag ends into the end of the other braid but I'm unsure if that 'braid' will hold up in action
I guess that for now it's best to make them the way I did the first two - leave about 18" of tag end at the start of the braid and the same at the end to finish it off with the cobra braid and still have some left over for drops - any ideas??
Thanks again guys.

Tom

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 12:47:19 PM »

The top lanyard looks pretty good.  You will get all sorts of opinions on the lengths of the drops for the calls.  Some guys like them shorter, others like them longer.  It's best to figure out who the lanyard will be going to before you make it, and then tailor the drop lengths to their liking.  For me, I'm a fairly tall guy, so I like longer drops.  With that said, the lanyards in the 2nd pic and last pic look like they have pretty short drops on them.  I don't want to have to pull on the lanyard when I bring the call up to my lips. I just want to lift the call to my lips.

I like your carriers as well.  I make something similar with D-rings.  I like this style a lot better than the over the shoulder carriers, especially for coyotes that have fleas or other nasties on them.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline swobg

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 01:00:35 PM »
Hi Bob, I agree.  When I do make a lanyard for someone, I ask how long they would like it to be.  The ones shown (smaller ones) are used by me as I like them short when in the layout blind so they don't slide sideways under the arms.  In the pit the longer ones work fine.  I'll be watching the drops and you're right, they should be a couple of inches longer - next time.  Thanks so much.

Tom

The top lanyard looks pretty good.  You will get all sorts of opinions on the lengths of the drops for the calls.  Some guys like them shorter, others like them longer.  It's best to figure out who the lanyard will be going to before you make it, and then tailor the drop lengths to their liking.  For me, I'm a fairly tall guy, so I like longer drops.  With that said, the lanyards in the 2nd pic and last pic look like they have pretty short drops on them.  I don't want to have to pull on the lanyard when I bring the call up to my lips. I just want to lift the call to my lips.

I like your carriers as well.  I make something similar with D-rings.  I like this style a lot better than the over the shoulder carriers, especially for coyotes that have fleas or other nasties on them.

Brian

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 08:56:31 PM »
They all look great. I personally like the last one best.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline JThomas

• New Forum Member
    • http://skullpointgamecalls.com
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 10:07:49 PM »
 :bigup:
http://skullpointgamecalls.com         
 Aim small - Miss small

Offline swmohunter

• New Forum Member
    • Ozark Mountain Lanyards
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 02:03:01 AM »
They look good to me. The more you make, the better you will get.  :2up:
Ozark Mountain Lanyards
http://ozarkmountainlanyards.com/

Offline Fyrewil

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 05:17:32 PM »
 :2up: :clap: :punk: :bigup:
Very Nice!!!!

Offline swobg

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 10:52:22 AM »
Thanks much for all the posts.  Your help is appreciated.  They and I are a work in progress.

Tom

Offline Lanyard King

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 08:19:28 PM »
I don't like any of them.......... NOT there COOL dude. Nice work :bigup:
Randy Edwards the self proclaimed Lanyard King!!!!LOL
Be sure to check out my other web sites.

www.tklanyards.webs.com

www.flatlineoutdoors.com

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 11:08:26 PM »
LK, I don't understand your post at all. What are you trying to say? Is it suppose to be funny or are you taking a slam at the guy?
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 12:01:15 AM »
On a forum, we only have the written word to go by. It is sometimes a fine line between a joke and a slam. We need to be very careful how we word things so we don't offend. Especially, as in this case, it just isn't clear, the way it is written with misspelled words and so forth. If you want to make a joke, one needs to be very certain that ALL are going to take it that way.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 11:27:50 AM »
Well, Lanyard King, if you were just making a joke, which I didn't understand, I sincerly apologize if I caused you any discomfort. I really didn't intend that at all. Just trying to be sure that all is good on this forum with nobody beinghammered like happens on some other forums. All is good with me then.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 02:52:24 PM by Braz »
Braz