Author Topic: ?? on stabilized woods  (Read 1995 times)

Offline JGT

• New Forum Member
?? on stabilized woods
« on: February 01, 2010, 11:18:40 AM »
Hi guys I have a few questions I was hoping to get a little help with.  I did a search on working with stabilized woods and couldn't find answers.  I just ordered a nice blank of this stuff and have never worked with it and don't want to screw it up.  When drilling is it recommended to use a lube like drillling acrylic? Also What kind of finish do you put on it if any, just sand and polish it?  Any info is appreciated

Thanks
Jamie T

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Re: ?? on stabilized woods
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 12:17:24 PM »

I use regular jobber style bits when I drill them.  Sometimes I use water, other times not when drilling.  Just depends on the mood I am in and how much of a mess I want to make.  If the blank is drilling hard, then I'll add some water to keep things cool.  Redwood burls are softer, and they'd be a candidate for not using any lube.  But more dense stabilized burls may need some water to keep things cool during drilling.

As for finishing, the sky is the limit.  The burls have lots of checks and voids, so I typically have been sealing them with CA glue before I apply my final finish.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 02:15:53 PM »
Most of the stabilized woods I turn don`t need lube when drilling.  But when they do I use Crisco (in it`s white form).
As for the finish, if it has checks and voids I will apply CA until filled.  But after that you can use almost anything.  On soom I apply novus plastic polish and she shines up like a mirror

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 10:35:40 PM »
More detailed answers come from more detailed questions.  :up1: What kind of wood is it? Will it be a call used in the field/woods or on/near water where there is more moisture?
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline JGT

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 10:55:07 PM »
It is a piece of claro walnut with alot of curl in it, looks like a high grade gun stock.  I plan on using it in the field and I guess I had more questions on what types of finish is used to give these type of blanks a good shine like I see so many on this forum.  I have been using tru oil w/ good results, is this a possibility or do I just sand it good and polish it up?  Any info is appreciated.

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 12:02:14 AM »
The Walnut will drill nicely for you. Just take 1/4" strokes & remove so the chips fall away regularly. You should drill all wood this way. Walnut isn't very hard. I think Tru-Oil would be a great finish on that call too. It should take the handling well. The most important thing about the finish tho is to make sure you finish the inside of the call as well.  I've turned some Walnut & really liked BLO & CA on it for a finish.
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline River Mallard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 02:13:13 PM »
No need to use lube. Use a brad tip drill bit and you should not have any problems. I drilled close to 500 pieces of stabilized wood last year and never used a drop of lube. The key is the drill bit....