Author Topic: Drilling out a duck call barrell, on the lathe or with the drill press?  (Read 9899 times)

Offline longbeardfever4ever

• New Forum Member
Hey guys,
I've tried to drill out a few duck call barrels on the lathe, didnt work too well. I have a 4 jaw chuck, and a drill chuck, drilled slow with a 5/8" bit, but it comes out crooked. I cant drill on the drill press with a forstner bit because i have a small drill press.  Should i just try a regular bit on the drill press? Or do i fix this by using an extra thick blank to drill out? I was drilling it while it was square still. Any help is appreciated, im a newbie to it. Been turning turkey calls, want to learn to drill correctly so i can do a few duck calls, grunt calls, crow calls, tube calls, and yote howlers..

Thanks!

Offline harvey8542

• New Forum Member
  • Team Stubble Stalkers
    • Stubble Stalkers
Hmm I wonder what is going on :huh: I have had no problems since I have gone to this set up. The only thing I do different is I drill at a higher speed.
Great deal on advertising two of your calls for a year on http://stubblestalkers.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
Only thing I can think of that may be a problem is be sure to square off the end you are drilling first. I use a chilse to start an indention for the bit ti start in so I know it starts out dead center and have had good luck that way.
I drill at the slowest lathe speed. If you drill at high speeds you will burn the wood from the heat.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

ben

I drill with a 4 jaw chuck all the time and have no problem. First to make drilling easier the blank should be square and catch between the gaps of the chuck jaws. If the blank is cut square it will rest against the back of the chuck and should make it pretty square to the drill bit. I ordinairly drill a 1 1/2 blank and sometime it does run off a little but the hole is straight anyway so it should not make any difference if the blank is large enough to start with. You can also mark a center point on the end and check to see where the drill lines up to and it does help to drill a starting center hole although I don't do that all the time either. I use a #2 morse taper drill bit in the tail stock.

Sometime if the square blank is so lopsided you can turn it round between centers and chuck that up and you have the center point and should drill straight through.

ben

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
Explain the crooked part or better yet post a photo of the hole.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline longbeardfever4ever

• New Forum Member
Couple of great answers, thank you!!

I will try again this weekend, if that doesnt work out i will post up some pics. Thanks!!

Mike

Offline Robert A.

• New Forum Member
I drill on the lathe also, on square duck call barrel blanks. I chuck the blank up and mark the center point using a straight edge form corner to corner making an (x), then using a 60 degree live center I ensure the blank is centered in the chuck then re-tighten the blank in the chuck and then turn the lathe on for it to settle for a minute then drill it straight thru. I also use a 5/8 brad point bit in a Jacobs Chuck. It may not be the best way but it works for me. Good luck Mate!!
Triple Shot Game Calls
http://www.tripleshotgamecalls.com/
If you don't take a chance you will never get a chance!!!

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Any reason why you don't think it is the bit?  Dogcatcher told me to get set up with the Harbor Freight Silver Deming drill bit set as a cheap starter bit set for this type of drilling, and I use them for my goose calls, and everything is working out great for me.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
ANother thing that will help is buying a set of small center drills from Harbour freight. Square the end before you start drilling, then start the hole with the center drill first. You'll be amazed at how easily a good, sharp drill bit will follow a small starting hole.

Good luck!

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
Re: Drilling out a duck call barrell, on the lathe or with the drill press?
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 02:11:42 PM »
ANother thing that will help is buying a set of small center drills from Harbour freight. Square the end before you start drilling, then start the hole with the center drill first. You'll be amazed at how easily a good, sharp drill bit will follow a small starting hole.

Good luck!

Bob

Same here. 
I make sure the ends are square as can be.  Chuck up the blank and bump it a little till it turns pretty true.  I then use a #4 center drill, followed by using a 1/2 drill bit and drill in 1/2.  Then use a counter sink to get a nice entey taper to the hole that matches my 5/8 bit.  Then drill with a 5/8 bit.

If you are drilling to fast or get the bit to hot it will cut off center

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
Re: Drilling out a duck call barrell, on the lathe or with the drill press?
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 02:26:17 PM »
A nail point or awl mark will do the same thing as a center bit.  All the drill bit needs is a dimple to start on, the blank still has to be aligned with the bit to get a straight hole.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.