Author Topic: Step drilling  (Read 2310 times)

wrangler2

Step drilling
« on: January 13, 2010, 05:23:38 PM »
OK it step drilled the goose call and for the most part turned out well.  call length 3.25".  Went 1" 7/8, 1" 3/4 and the rest 5/8".  When I blow in it, it seem to take more air to get to call than my duck calls.  is this normal or do i need to change my step drilling lengths?

thanks
mike

Offline Black Timber Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Black Timber Custom Calls
Re: Step drilling
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 06:58:20 PM »
I'm assuming you are talking barrels. Honestly a goose call takes more air than a duck call anyways, but that glodo style barrel should take much less air than if you straight bored it with just the 7/8 to the end of the tenon.
Trevor Shannahan
Black Timber Custom Calls

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 07:50:01 PM »
If you think it is too much, I would experiment with cutting out a step, let cut out the 7/8 or cut out the 3/4.  More than anything, watch your guts in the barrel and make the barrel as small as you can on the inside without having the guts touch the side of the barrel.  Not saying that WILL give you the best sound, but it will allow you to use the least amount of air to fill the chamber, and still let the guts run properly.

If you are running a 'local guy' set of guts, I would ask him what kind of barrel configuration will work best for his guts.  They are usually very nice about helping out, because that way they can sell you more guts later.   :up1:

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Cold Front Calls

• New Forum Member
  • "Hunt the Front"
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 10:08:16 PM »
OK it step drilled the goose call and for the most part turned out well.  call length 3.25".  Went 1" 7/8, 1" 3/4 and the rest 5/8".  When I blow in it, it seem to take more air to get to call than my duck calls.  is this normal or do i need to change my step drilling lengths?

thanks
mike

All good points made in the earlier posts.  I beleive that your barrel lenght is to long, I would still do the 7/8 to 1" and the 3/4 to 1", but the rest of it is to long.  My barrels are around 2.5" long.  Also one more thing to check out is the reed in relation to the end of the tone channel.  The closer it is to the TC the easier it will be to run.
"Hunt the Front"