Author Topic: Old school hooter  (Read 6589 times)

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Old school hooter
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 08:51:47 PM »
Its gonna be all about chamber size vs. density of the material Lynn, and I have a sneaky suspicion the density of the material isn't going to matter very much.  

If you make it too small, you'll be making a dove call instead of an owl call.   :2up:  Durn the luck there!   :rofl:

My initial measurements came from a wooden Lynch call that has the sounds I'm after.

REALLY......I think (and Blackfalcon has had similar thoughts) most of your variables take place in your mouth peice.  That's where the magic......and that headaches.......are gonna take place.   :up1:

And......there's a HUGE thing to keep in mind here!   :up1:  We're not trying to call in OWLS!  We're just trying to make a sound that makes turkeys shock gobble, but doesn't scare them out of the countryside!   :up1:

:hammer:  Oh my gosh this sounds like 2003 all over again to me.   :hammer:  I've got more grey hair, and friends with more grey hair now though.  I think we're gonna whoop this thing.  :up1:

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Blackfalcon

Re: Old school hooter
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 11:19:46 PM »
To answer some of these questions,, and keeping in mind this is just an owl hooter, but operates on the same principals as a flute, (but at a certain resonance or frequency, that of an owl hoot preferably  :rofl:).
"A flute produces sound when a stream of air directed across a hole in the instrument creates a vibration of air at the hole.The air stream across this hole creates a Bernoulli, or siphon, effect leading to a von Karman vortex street. This excites the air contained in the usually cylindrical resonant cavity within the flute.   :whistling:
Changing the effective length of the resonator changes the pitch  and its corresponding resonant frequency.
To be louder, a flute must use a larger resonator, a larger air stream, or increased air stream velocity. A flute's volume can generally be increased by making its resonator and tone holes larger."
My goal was to make a call that is louder and requires less air to operate. In my experiments, I restricted the mouthpiece in the middle, thinking this should increase air stream velocity, add a little back pressure so I could blow the call without running out of air, and I have also experimented with the tone hole diameters. Today I made one with a slightly larger bore (1 5/8")to see what effect that has on volume.