Author Topic: countertop material  (Read 3820 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
countertop material
« on: November 16, 2009, 10:17:14 PM »
I made this call tonight with some solid surface material that I recently got.  It is my first try with the stuff and overall I'm calling it a success.  Seems to turn pretty much like acrylic, perhaps a little bit more forgiving.  I did screw up and take a bit too much diameter off of the insert so it goes in about 1/4" further than I like them to before snugging up.  If I get gutsy I'm going to cut in an o-ring or two to get it to fit the way I want it to.  Anyone have any advice about o-rings (fit, etc.)?  Never successfully done it!  

The good news is that this call sounds awesome.  It has a really great range, and gets loud with the best of them.  It is probably the best sounding call I've made in my relatively short time making duck calls.  

The barrel looks solid white in the picture but it isn't.  It is more like a white granite look with a stone-like appearance.

Aaron

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 10:18:50 PM by theKCtermite »

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: countertop material
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 10:33:41 PM »
Looking really good.  :bigup:
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 11:00:18 PM »
Looks nice!! The o ring isnt hard to do. I use the collet chuck. Put the insert inside the chuck where the mandrel would go. Before you tighten it up put the tail stock with your live center up to it and you can center it up that way. It may take a few times to get it just right but it is do-able.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 11:07:33 PM »
Looks nice!! The o ring isnt hard to do. I use the collet chuck. Put the insert inside the chuck where the mandrel would go. Before you tighten it up put the tail stock with your live center up to it and you can center it up that way. It may take a few times to get it just right but it is do-able.

Thanks JCZ.  I've done that part before.  Where I've gone wrong (I think) is the outside diameter of the o-rings.  I think I need to get smaller diameter o-rings, perhaps something less than 5/8"...And let them stretch a little bit over the o-ring groove's inner diameter.  In the past my o-rings were just a little too proud of the insert so it makes them get pinched at the edge of the barrel as they're going in.  Frustrating.   :censored:

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 11:17:27 PM »
Oh sorry I misunderstood. I am using the o rings that came with the wood duck reeds I got from HUT right now. Im not real sure what size they are. I got 20 reeds a while ago and they each came with 2 reeds so I figured Id use them up this way.
I have seen that if the oring sticks a little you can put a small amount of vasoline on it and it will slide a little easier. hope that helps some.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 11:32:18 PM »

My orings that I use are 9/16" od and 1/16" thickness.  The diameter for the oring groove that I use is around .51" 

____  ___
      l_l       _____
                 .51"         
       _       _____
____l l___       

You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 12:36:15 AM »

My orings that I use are 9/16" od and 1/16" thickness.  The diameter for the oring groove that I use is around .51" 

____  ___
      l_l       _____
                 .51"         
       _       _____
____l l___       

That's good info!  Exactly what I needed!  Thanks.  :2up:
The vaseline idea seems pretty good as well. 

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 12:00:01 PM »

____  ___
      l_l       _____
                 .51"         
       _       _____
____l l___       

Same here and a SAE 13 o-ring

STUMP

www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline cterese12

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 01:33:45 PM »
looks awesome man!!! :bigup: :bigup:
Bringin'em down one flock at a time

Offline thielen2001

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 07:37:56 PM »
looks awsome
Dont Bring A Knife To A Gun Fight

Offline Lower Creek Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Lower Creek Game Calls
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 07:38:56 PM »
Where do you get that material from and how much does it cost.  Looks great!!!!!!!
John Hood
Lower Creek Game Calls
Author of "Today's Call Makers Keeping The Tradition Alive"

www.lowercreekgamecalls.com

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 08:15:34 PM »
Where do you get that material from and how much does it cost.  Looks great!!!!!!!

Just about any countertop fabrication company has small scraps in the trash that they'll probably give away.  It comes 1/2" thick though, so it has to be glued together.  If done by the right person using the right colored adhesive the glueline pretty much dissapears.  I got mine from cterese12 here on THO and he did an awesome job.  As for cost, contact him and he'll shoot you straight.