Author Topic: 2nd call  (Read 2485 times)

Offline talltimbers

• New Forum Member
    • talltimbers
2nd call
« on: November 08, 2009, 10:50:54 AM »
This is a Cherry grunt call with a alternate ivory stopper and Hut guts. The Cherry wood was lighter then the Cocobolo i made,hence the sound was not as deep as the Coco. Does that sound about right as to what i am thinking. Pic below

Blackfalcon

Re: 2nd call
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 03:51:01 PM »
Nice looking call!!!   :bigup: If the reed and barrel are the same length as on the other call, then it could be the density of the wood affecting the tone. Generally speaking, the longer the reed, the deeper the tone or lower the pitch (in my opinion.)
Dave

alscalls

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 08:55:18 PM »
Nice Job!  :bigup: :bigup: :bigup: :bigup:

Looks like you drill a 3/4" Hole all the way through.....I drill the last 3/4" length on the mouth end of the call 1/2" Dia. Bore.
It gives just a slight bit of back pressure and can change the sound a bit......Give it a try if ya like....Just be sure too leave enough room for the tone board.
Here is a pic of what I mean.....

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 12:58:40 AM »
A tip I will give you is to mark your tone board where it hits your wedge on a call that you really like the tone of.  Then, place that mark on every tone board you set.  It will help you reach that sweet spot almost every time.

I believe Al sells those guts in his store too, and is probably cheaper than HUT. 

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline talltimbers

• New Forum Member
    • talltimbers
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 08:53:22 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys, i will incoparate what you are all saying in the next deer grunt i make. Next one i have to make is a short reed goose call.  My stepson and his buddies go goose hunting, and they may like em. The Coco deer grunt i made for him last time,he says it sounds great, he said he was able to call one in while bow hunting but couldn`t get a clear shot.  Carl