Author Topic: Elk Antler Duck Call  (Read 11248 times)

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Elk Antler Duck Call
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 02:53:49 PM »
I tried CA, but I've only used it in the past as little bitty fillers.  I tried it on this call, and MAN OH MAN.......I made a MESS!  STILL picking CA off my fingers!   :o

I'd like to come up with another way to do it.  I sure would like to get this call running good.

I think I'll see if my bud can seal it in his pressure pot first, and if he doesn't think so, I'll try the concrete sealer.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Curmudgeon

• New Forum Member
    • Tail Gunner Duck Calls
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »
Just a thought Parker, but if it's puorus enough for air to escape, you don't need any additional pressure to seal it. I'd just soak it an hour ot two it in Minwax Wood Hardner or some other sealer and let it dry. You should be able to even lightly sand it, or even polish it after that. Good luck.
June 2009 Call Makers Throwdown Winner !

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 06:33:26 PM »
Just a thought Parker, but if it's puorus enough for air to escape, you don't need any additional pressure to seal it. I'd just soak it an hour ot two it in Minwax Wood Hardner or some other sealer and let it dry. You should be able to even lightly sand it, or even polish it after that. Good luck.

:P  Oh, okay.  Good thought.  I'll get some of that hardener.  Makes perfect sense.  I've just never used that kind of equipment before.  I sure appreciate the help.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2008, 06:40:23 PM »
Parker,

One of the guys I work with makes antler handled knives and his trick for deer antler is to soak it in concrete sealer to help fill in the marrow. Might work for this as well.

rwehuntn

Tell me more about this concrete sealer.  Is it a specific brand?  Where does he get it?   Is it a clear sealant?  Has he ever tried it on porous wood, like spalted maple?  How bad does it smell?

This stuff sounds like a few experiments in the making, if it seals and strengthens the punky part of antler it may work the same way on punky wood.  Ask him if he has ever used it on wood, this just maybe a new filling for splits, checks etc on wood turning.

Marvin  
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.