Author Topic: Dipping in a finish - my technique  (Read 12641 times)

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Dipping in a finish - my technique
« on: October 17, 2009, 04:25:12 PM »

Here's how I dip my call barrels when I dip them in a finish.

I first start off with this style of paper clip.  The medium size ones and large size work pretty good.  You don't have to modify the clips in any way.  Just squeeze them a little to get them unhooked from the base part of the clip.

When the call barrel is ready to be finished, insert the paper clip into the barrel and take the lid off of the finish you are dipping the call in.

Slowly lower the call into the finish.  I try to lower mine fairly slowly into the finish and at an angle.

Once the call is submerged, I try to hold it in the finish for a couple minutes just to make sure that all of the air bubbles leave the surface of the call.  You can wiggle the call a little to help the process, but don't stir up the finish too much and splash it all over the place.

Removing the call from the finish is the most critical part of the step.  I pull my call barrels out at an angle.  I also pull my barrels out of the finish at a rate of around an inch per minute.  Pulling them out slowly and at an angle will allow the finish to get an even coat.  Pulling it out too fast will result in areas that have a thicker finish and more drips.

Remember to go slowly.  You will want to see what it looks like, but have patience.

Hold the call for a little bit to allow most of the drips to drip off.

Hang the call up to dry.  I hang the call at an angle.  It allows the drips to collect in one part of the call.

Set a timer for 30 minutes.

When the timer goes off after 30 minutes, touch a rag to the drip to remove the drip from the call.

That's how I do it. 

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
Re: Dipping in a finish - my technique
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 04:58:21 PM »
Thanks B, I had not thought that taking the call out too fast would cause problems but I can see where it would now that you have pointed it out. How many times do you usually dip your calls?
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 08:47:54 PM »
 :up1:  Good stuff B.  I just make my wires.  I like your style.   :rockon:

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 09:21:12 PM »
How many times do you usually dip your calls?

It all depends on a few things.  Sometimes for the first dip, I will dip in a thinned mixture to try to penetrate the wood surface better.  Then for the 2nd coat, I'll dip it in the unthinned finish.  It will all depend upon how the call looks after it dries.  If it looks like it could use another coat, then put on another coat.  Generally, 2-3 dips is what you will find does the trick.

Parker, if you see in the back of my drying cabinet in the last few pics, there are some wires.  They were leaving areas in the bore that I didn't like, so I switched to the paper clips.  Here is what the bore looked like with the wire design that I was using.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 10:58:31 PM »
Thanks, I may have to give dipping another try. I didnt like my results on the few calls I tried it on. I have the spray Im trying now and am having mixed results.

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 11:10:06 PM »
 :up1:  Good stuff man.  I've had that issue in the past too when the wires weren't bent enough.  Its good to show that too to where other folks won't have to mess with that problem.

The way I do mine, I do a dip of.....what.....Bullseye something or other as a pre-finish, and then I do a dip of spar.  Once that dip is dried, I come back with a spray can of spar for a coat.  That gets me a really smooth finish most of the time.

NOW......with that being said though, I don't think, no matter how hard I tried, would I be able to get a finish to be as smooth as a call BigB did that he would call marginal.   :up1:  BigB's calls have the best finish on them in a call I have ever held, so when he talks about finishes, I listen!   :up1:

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Comeback Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Comeback Calls
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 02:06:18 PM »
Good post BigB, I like your idea with the paper clips, I've used bent hanger wire and it does cause some problems. What kind of drying cabinet you got set up?

Al
www.comebackcalls.com

"Turn Some Heads"

A man's life consists not in the abundance of the things which he possesses. [Luke 12:15].

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 05:18:13 PM »
Have any of you ever tried the salad bowl finish?? I got some the other day and used B's method of dipping and wow they look awesome!!! 3 coats and it looks like glass but I dont know how it will hold up.

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 08:13:40 PM »
What kind of drying cabinet you got set up?

Al, here is my cabinet for dipping and drying.  It works pretty good.
http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,427.0.html

Brian

Brandon_4078

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 11:12:06 PM »
 :eek: WOW look at that SHINE I think Im going to try this dipping thing.

Offline truluck

• New Forum Member
  • `
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 09:07:47 PM »
I tried my first dip in spar cut 50% mineral spirits on a piece of curtis wood tonight and will do a 2nd dip in uncut spar later.  Now for my question, how do you do the inserts?  Do you drill them 1st or dip then drill? ::)

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 09:52:06 PM »
I have drilled and cut my inserts....... then you have to sand some of the finish off of the board. I AM NOT an expert at this. I have only done a handfull of calls this way. So hope some one with WAY more experience than me speaks up.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 02:52:21 PM »
I've been dipping the bell end of my inserts all the way up to the cork notch.  The remainder of the insert is getting BLO or tung oil applied before the reed and cork go in.  I'm careful to make sure to coat everywhere, especially inside the tone channel.  It has been working really well for me thus far and I can avoid having to sand the finish off the toneboard. 

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 09:04:54 AM »
THANK YOU for the pics and tutorial BigB.  I have to agree with the other guys here that your finish is top notch.  The removing slow thing is priceless.

Now for the question part.
First, are you guys leaving the inside of the barrels finished (5/8 hole)?  If so is there not and issue when you insert your keg due to the reduced ID from the finish? I normaly coat the barrel ID with mylands friction polish and go with that. 
Second, I see you don`t cover your bands when dipping.  I have been using electrical tape to cover mine and then remove it once the finish is dry.  Are you haveing any issues with coating your bands?

Again, I really appreciate the info brother!!!!  Good stuff right there

STUMP

www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 11:42:30 AM »
Stump, I'm leaving the inside of my barrels finished with spar.  They fit fine, but I do have to say that the finish on the insert does get a little ugly where the connection is made.  You can't see it with the call assembled though.  I suppose it wouldn't hurt to sand the spar down a bit on the inside of the barrel???

I'm dipping with my bands installed and unprotected.  Removing the call from the dip at an angle and very slowly helps give a uniform finish on the band.  If the spar isn't thinned I'm sure it would be a nightmare.  I thin mine at about 60% spar and 40% mineral spirits and it is working well.  It does help to use the corner of a folded paper towel to catch a couple drips from the barrel and then use the same corner of the towel to remove any excess from the band while it is still very wet.