Author Topic: Dipping in a finish - my technique  (Read 12728 times)

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
Re: Dipping in a finish - my technique
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 12:15:04 PM »
I dipped a few in the salad bowl finish I got a couple weeks ago and they look awesome. Im a little worried on how the salad bowl finish will hold to the abuse but I wanted to give it a shot. If anyone has any experience with it let me know please. I figured it was good for bowls that have food(hot and cold) then should stand put to the washing so I hope it holds up good. I also dipped with the bands uncovered and they turned out great!!!
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 12:32:43 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I let you know how mine turn out.  Going to use the mylands for the ID of the barrel and then sleeve it for dipping.  On the inserts I`m going to dip to the o-ring groove and tung oil the rest.
And I want to try the epoxy finish as well

Great stuff bo and again thanks for sharing.  You guys have helped me more than you know or have sparked some good ideas in my noggen

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 12:59:36 PM »

Stump, I sand the inside of the barrels to 600 grit before I dip them.  I just did some barrels, twice dipped in 100% spar.  The inserts fit in the barrels with no problems.  I too had some reservations about the finish in the bore making the diameter smaller, but someone told me to not worry about it since the finish isn't as thick as we think it is. 

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 01:25:42 PM »
Brian,

I`ll give it a try the way your doing it first and see how it works out.  After thinning out the spar it might not be as thick like you said.
Are you using the same dip on you oily wood like cocobolo and bocote?  I though about buying the laquer from Sherman Williams with the hardner added on those woods.

I`ll be glad when I finally come up with a finish that looks good and lasts.  Then HOPEFULLY it will be smooth sailing from there.
Oh and I have to go to Lowes and pick up a cabnet as well.  Gonna look in the damaged section to save a few coins as I think I`ve spent more money on finishes than in wood  :oops:

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 01:30:28 PM »

I haven't figured out a good finish that will last for the oily woods yet.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 02:06:17 PM »
If you have a local Habitat For Humanity check to see if they have a resale store for donated items.  Cabinets can be real cheap, might be used or off the wall ugly, but still cheap.

The inside diameter won't be affected if you sand the inside, sanding probably takes off as much or more than you can add on with 2 dips in the Spar varnish. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2009, 11:23:33 AM »
Stump I experimented on a bocote barrel a few weeks ago and dipped it in thinned spar.  The outside dried in about 3 weeks and the inside is still tacky.  Safe to say it was a failure.

I was looking at a cocobolo Echo timber call I've had for years.  It has a thick glossy finish on it, and it has held up reasonably well for a decade.  It obviously wasn't dipped, as the inside of the barrel is raw wood.  I'd LOVE to know what finish they used that built up so nicely and stuck to cocobolo.  Maybe they sprayed it with shellac and then shot it with spar or something????  I think I'm seeing another experiment coming......Spar over shellac!  :huh:

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2009, 06:49:12 PM »
I`ve tried the spar over shellac thing...no go.  I used the shellac sealer, then shellac, and then spar.  8 days later still tacky so I stripped it off and used mylands.  But if you decide to try let me know how it works out.  As I may have made a mistake here or there

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 11:21:30 PM »
I`ve tried the spar over shellac thing...no go.  I used the shellac sealer, then shellac, and then spar.  8 days later still tacky so I stripped it off and used mylands.  But if you decide to try let me know how it works out.  As I may have made a mistake here or there

STUMP

Thanks, I'll take your word for it!   :yes: