Author Topic: Which will make you pull out your hair more?  (Read 3026 times)

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Which will make you pull out your hair more?
« on: October 31, 2009, 10:08:33 PM »
 :rockon:  Some time, I'm going to have to get a little more creative and do one of two things......either build some box calls, or work on my own duck call insert.

Which one do you think should be my next step as far as ease?  I've ran a LOT of REALLY bad custom box calls, AND custom duck calls (none of them from here).

So.....what should I do?  Which one do you think I will lose less hair doing while I experiment?

Sales wise, I would be able to sell more box calls, I'm sure of that, but that's not an objective of mine by any means.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: Which will make you pull out your hair more?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 10:14:12 PM »
I personally think the box call would take less aggravation. But that is just me. Not saying either is a piece of cake.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 10:23:38 PM »
I have not made any box calls but I have got some toneboards done. I say you should tackle the duck calls. Echo has made enough money.  You got all the good folks here to help you through either path you decide to take.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 10:54:04 PM »
I think it will depend on how well you can use either call.  Chose the one you think you can use and play the best.  Neither are easy to make so it is a toss up as to amount of time needed to get from point A to point B.  There is a big difference between just a call and a good call, which one can you do the best?  It is better to start with one that you are best at in the field.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 12:00:54 AM »
And give the economics of the situation some consideration. If you can make a box call, you can sell it while still selling the echo insert calls. But if you go with making the duck call, you won't have a box call to sell. Seems to me you should make the box call first, then work on the insert.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 12:09:52 AM »
Thanks for the replies so far gents.  I hope more people still chime in.

Marvin, I can run a box call times and times better than I can run a duck call.  I've only learned to blow a duck call good enough to kill birds in the last year.  I've been using a box call since I started turkey hunting 13 years ago when I was handed a box call and a single shot by my dad one morning and told, "Good luck".  I had my first bird in 7 minutes, and I've been hooked ever since.

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 08:40:59 AM »
I recommend working on the box call then.  Seeing as you can run one it would be alot easier to work on.
A duck insert will take alot of time to master.  EVERYTHING effects something on the call.  Also, I highly recommend you practice your calling and get proficent before tackling the project.  I spent two years working with it until I was good enough to compete on stage in both mainstreet and meat.  The knowledge I gained was truley what helped me with my learning curve on building a toneboard.  For me personaly a call maker should be profecent at running a call from top to bottom.  When I finish a call I run the pee out of it from top to bottom.  If it wouldn`t make my lanyard I continue to work on it or it goes in the thrash

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 11:28:02 AM »
Parker, email coming.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 11:50:53 AM »
I'm more inclined to go for something that'll really challenge me.  So I'd opt for the duck call toneboards.  I've got to say that I'm not much of a box call guy though...I can't run 'em worth a darn.  I just took the plunge and started doing duck inserts about a month ago and the learning curve has been really steep.  Although it will take a while to get it perfected, I assure you that you can make a good sounding duck call after some experimentation. 

If you're ever interested in seeing how I do it you're more than welcome to head a few miles south to Mission, KS and I'll show you what little I know.  It is nothing to be intimidated by.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 01:28:15 PM »

Parker,

I haven't made a box call yet.  But it has taken me a while and a lot of practice parts to learn how to make inserts.  I've still a ways to go on them, but I'm getting closer. 

Pick one and go with it.  You won't regret it.  It'll be a little frustrating at first, but very, very rewarding in the end.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 02:19:18 PM »
Duck inserts are like a marriage, the more you work on it, the better it gets, but it never ends! I've never built a box call, but the 4 years I have on my inserts have never been uneventful. Good luck on your decision!

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline Comeback Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Comeback Calls
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 09:31:57 AM »
I'm kinda opposite of you Parker, I grew up running duck calls, so they have been my main focus so far. Making your own tone board is a hairpulling  :taz: ordeal! I have just started making box calls and would have to say that it is not as hard to get a decent sound from them, not near as many variables. So I would say start with the box calls. That being said, the difference between decent sound and killer sound is what it's all about, and that level of call making is only achieved by many many hours of shop time and observation. I'm still putting my time in.

Al
www.comebackcalls.com

"Turn Some Heads"

A man's life consists not in the abundance of the things which he possesses. [Luke 12:15].

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 01:29:18 PM »
Thanks for the further information gentlemen!  Just one of those thoughts I've had running through my head!

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Blackfalcon

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 05:04:23 PM »
I started call making making box calls, killed a turkey with probably the 5th call I made and have been hooked on them ever since. I have made around two hundred calls since then and am finally now getting that "killer" sound out of them, no matter what kind of call you make there is a progression.
As far as tone boards, I became interested in predator calls and started making them, learned how to make a tone board, how to get range of sound and volume. This I think really opened the door for me to begin making duck call inserts which have to be "right" as you can't play them like an open reed predator call! (unless you take them out of the barrel  :rofl:) Having some experience with how everything affects everything else in making predator calls, helped me in the attempt to figure out duck call inserts and I am still learning! The slightest change can make a huge difference!
I guess my advice,which I don't give out very often, is to make whatever kind of call intrigues you the most. As you make calls you will become more proficient at using them, so don't let that become a stumbling block for you. You can always buy DVD's to improve your calling skills or get some help from a hunting buddy. It takes dogged determination to get you through some of the frustrations encountered when trying something new, but when you do succeed, believe me it is all worth it, even though you will have much less hair!
Dave