Author Topic: Need some pointers on reed length vs. tone channel  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Need some pointers on reed length vs. tone channel
« on: October 11, 2009, 04:44:41 PM »
Hey all,
I'm pretty new to making my own inserts and toneboards.  I've made some nice sounding calls but the more I blow them the more I'm thinking they lack the high end volume that I feel I need to have in a call.  What's worse is that when I put a lot of air most some of them the reed locks up.  I've played around with reed length as well as tone channel length but I'm honestly shooting in the dark.  If anyone could give me some pointers regarding the relationship between reed length and tone channel length I'd be really appreciative.  I'm honestly having a really hard time establishing any sort of consistency with my inserts (length, how far they go into the barrel, how deep to drill the tone channel, etc.)  and that is making the troubleshooting more difficult.  For what its worth, my cork is about 1/16" shorter than my insert cork notch.
I can post pics of the offending inserts if that helps.
Thanks,
Aaron

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
Re: Need some pointers on reed length vs. tone channel
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 06:47:49 PM »
Go ahead and put some pics up. You know how everyone like them anyway. I am in the same boat as you, I have done a few toneboards but nothing to write home about.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Robert A.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 07:16:45 PM »
I hear ya callin!!!! I have struggled with the same in the past. Problem is not all jigs are the same, so not all dimensions will work. Just remember when you are tuning the call, make Very light cuts when trimming the reed or you can miss the sweet spot easily. Also make sure the cork is all the way back in the notch, the reed to tone board surface needs to be smooth. Do the light test, pinch the end of the reed to the tone board and hold it up to the light and see if you can identify any low spots under the reed. Hope this helps.
Triple Shot Game Calls
http://www.tripleshotgamecalls.com/
If you don't take a chance you will never get a chance!!!

Offline tripod58

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 08:37:11 PM »
Heres a kinda rule of thumb. You want your tone channel to stop short of the end about 1/2" mine are a little further back 0.565 to be exact, may not work with yours but it does with mine. Everything effects everything. On the reed, a good starting point is about 3/16" from the end of the tone channel, tak light cuts with sharp scissors. if you get burrs on the cuts it will give it a weird sound. On your call locking up it could be alot of different things, like you stated reed length, tone channel, or could be a back pressure issue, try boring it out a little more or a little less. It can be very trying at time but when you find all the right combos it is like a dream :bigup: You got any close ups of your toneboard?
Please don't tell Obama what comes after a trillion!!!!!

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 09:10:17 PM »
Since most of the jigs are different the measurements have to be found one at a time.  This is where keeping notes will help you find those sweet spots on your jig.  It may take just a couple of test runs on a toneboard or it may take you a 100, but there really isn't a better way to find what you are looking for.  Time to make some scrap.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 11:22:04 PM »

Can you post a pic of the toneboard?  A side view of the toneboard with the reed installed would be a good one to show.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 01:03:16 AM »
Thanks for the PM Brian.  I was taking way too much off my reeds at a time instead of taking paper thin cuts and trying the call.  I was cutting right past the sweet spot on most of them I think.  Gonna keep working at it!

Offline Robert A.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 08:15:06 AM »
Good luck with it!! It took me over 6 months to get the sound I wanted. But then again maybe I am a little slow? :rofl:
Triple Shot Game Calls
http://www.tripleshotgamecalls.com/
If you don't take a chance you will never get a chance!!!

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 10:06:08 AM »
Good luck with it!! It took me over 6 months to get the sound I wanted. But then again maybe I am a little slow? :rofl:

I doubt you're slow.  It is definitely a process that takes some hard work.  Overnight success is probably pretty hard to come by!