Author Topic: Acrylic inserts for sale??  (Read 9209 times)

Offline River Mallard

• New Forum Member
Acrylic inserts for sale??
« on: October 02, 2009, 06:04:45 PM »
Now that I have your guys attention, I really dont have any for sale yet.. I just want to get a feel for if there would be much of a demand for them. These would be all machined and polished and the toneboard all cut out as well.. All you would have to do is put in a cork and reed and you would be good to go.... Is there anyone that is interested in a product like this??? The price on them would be around $22.00 each... Let me know what you guys think. I'm also kicking around doing some pre-drill acrylic barrel blanks as well that would have a band already pressed on. All you would have to do is turn it to how you want it to look, all the hard part would be done by me. I have no idea of cost on these yet. Let me know your thoughts on both these item.Thanks Doug

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Acrylic inserts for sale??
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 11:46:27 PM »
I guess my question would be, if you're already going to set the tone board to what you want it to be, why wouldn't you cork and reed it and tune it?

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 11:07:42 AM »
I would love to have some Acrylic stoppers turned and drilled and ready to cut from my jig so I could do the tuning and use what ever jig I want to. I think that would be the ticket. Also solid colors like black and white I hate polishing the clear ones! :rofl: Let me know if this is possible.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 12:19:59 PM »
Sounds like a great idea you got there. I know that is a lot of work to do but isnt $22.00 a bit pricey? I think it would be a better seller if you offered them like Larry is asking and wouldnt be as much work on you. Just my :2:worth.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline River Mallard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 06:17:36 PM »
I may be leaning more for what Larry is talking about... That way you guys can jig cut them to your specs. Another question. How far from the tip do most of you drill your blanks??? I'm thinking of drill them about .500-.600 from the tip. Not sure if I need to back that off even farther. Then everyone could finish drilling them out the rest of the way to your specs.. Any thoughts???

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 12:38:29 AM »
I would be interested in the turned but not cut versions.  Would be a very minimal amount since acrylic is not my thing.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

ben

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 08:39:25 AM »
My 2 cents worth would be drilled 1/4" hole no exaust taper and I would assume the drilled hole would be pretty much finished off the cnc and buyer to polish the stopper and cut his own toneboard.

Never measured 1/2" from bottom etc. but the depth of the hole from the exaust end so don't know about that measurement.

That would be my interest, price would dictate amount, although not into acrylic that much but might get more interested.

ben

Offline daren99

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 10:52:50 AM »
I'm with Marvin, I'd take some of those, price dependent.

Daren

Offline Curmudgeon

• New Forum Member
    • Tail Gunner Duck Calls
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 12:00:56 PM »
Doug, a few months ago I looked long and hard for a CAST ACRYLIC insert that was roughed out . Nobody is making anything like it that I could find.
Based on my research a rough turned insert, with just a pilot hole that ended well before the tennon ends, would be a very popular item.  I ended up having a mess of them custom cnc'd for me and I love them. I still do the drilling and of course cut the tone board radius. I believe you could sell a roughed out insert that was just a 2.5” X 5/8 dia tennon on a 1.75” X 1 3/8 Dia tennon with a pilot hole and no profile at all. A call maker could slap that puppy in a collet chuck and finish it up in a fraction of the time it takes to start from scratch, and, still have a custom call. Having a pilot hole is a big help and allows me to do the finish drilling on the DP with no worries, and the tone channel is always perfectly centered (that's huge!)

I hope you find enough interest in this to keep you moving forward !

June 2009 Call Makers Throwdown Winner !

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 07:30:45 PM »

Doug,

Price will dictate how successful this will be.  I think if priced right, it will be a very good seller.  Something like this would be a huge time savings for a lot of callmakers:

That will allow someone to shape the toneboard and exhaust portions to however the callmaker would like. 

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Curmudgeon

• New Forum Member
    • Tail Gunner Duck Calls
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 08:19:19 PM »
Yep, exactly what BigB is posting up, with a 1/4 pilot hole.

June 2009 Call Makers Throwdown Winner !

Offline River Mallard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 09:50:01 PM »
BigB, What you have is exactly what I had been kicking around for a long time, but with the hole drilled..

Next question, Friction fit or O-ring fit???  Keep your thoughts coming guys.....

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 09:56:42 PM »
Some of you guys may want to kill me, but I would prefer NO O ring groove.  My preference is for friction fit.  I have other calls beside duck calls I can use the non drilled versions so a pilot hole would be fine with me.

Marvin

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 10:28:05 PM »
I like friction fit on acrylic and o ring for wood inserts.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 11:36:45 PM »

Doug,

Don't put an oring groove in it.  If the callmaker wants to put one in it, it's not hard to put them in a collet chuck and put in the oring groove themselves.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.