Author Topic: A pen turning question....  (Read 12175 times)

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Re: A pen turning question....
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 01:48:35 PM »
LOL Hammer - I lurk on that site all the time.   Great bunch of folks it seems.  I really like all the projects they have in their library.   Good stuff.

Al @ THO

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 02:01:41 PM »
They do have some gifted turners over there. One guy does segmented turnings & I have no clue how he makes that stuff look the way it does.
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline the_benz

• New Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 02:15:52 PM »
Intersting thread.  The glue I use depends on the material I am turning.  I use gorila glue on all wood and antler pens.  I use thick CA on all acrylic and bowling ball pens.  I have never had a glue joint problem with this setup.

As for the glue in the tubes, i use sheets of dental wax that i twists the pen tube ends into.  I can't tell you were to get it, my wife brings it home from work for me.  But, it works great.

Gregg

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 05:22:53 PM »
OK - now you went and did it "the benz"

Let's hear about these bowling ball pens!

I have seen them before, and one call maker a few years ago made some trumpets I think, out of bowling balls.   

How do you know which ball is acrylic all the way through?  Or are they just on the edge or what?  It looks like a great material to make things out of.

Thanks for any info

Al @ THO

Offline the_benz

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 06:55:34 PM »
Most of the newer bowling balls are acrylic.  The manufacturers web site will tell you what the shells are made from.  The problem is finding the ones with the thicker shells to make things easier.  You can only use the shell the core is tossed out.  The heavy the ball the harder it is on the bandsaw blade.  IT has to do with what is added to the core to add the weight.  Here are a couple pics of bowling ball pens.  The colors on combinations are amazing in bowling bals.  Can't think of a good way to incorporate it with a game call yet.
Gregg

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2008, 09:56:26 PM »
Hey Greg. Can you post those pictures in something like photobucket and then link them here? If you just post them up I can't see them. Thanks.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”