The Art of Handcrafting Custom Game Calls > Handcrafting Other Items, Pens, Bowls, Forms

A pen turning question....

(1/5) > >>

justannie:
I've used epoxy to glue in my tubes. But I hear a lot saying that they use CA. I've tried CA, but EVERYTIME the tube comes loose while turning. Is there a special trick to using the CA to glue in the tubes? Figured I best find out, I've got a pen coming due for a wedding and I don't want anymore problems that normal lol I know I can just use the epoxy,but I don't want the CA to win the battle either!

Hawks Feather:
Glen, Glen, where are you Glen?

Braz:
I have had the same problems at times, so I ended up switching to gorilla glue. Haven' had a problem since.

Bucko:
I use CA glue for the pens and approx. 10% come loose at the first stage of turning.I know the heavy[thick] consistancy CA glue is recommended and scuffing up the brass tube is also recommended.From what I can recall Gorilla Glue is polyurethene glue and is available at places like Rockler at a good price advertised as polyurethene glue.If I was to use Gorilla Glue I would remember that it expands and use it in minimal amounts.I would say Annie that the epoxy glue is great and quite dependable at full cureing.
 What say ye,Glen?

HaMeR:
Gee guys. Thanks for thinking of me on this one.  ;D I might be able to help!!

This is just my way of doing this. I scuff the entire tube with 220grit 1st. Not real heavy as you will take away too much brass & the tube will be too small. Then I wipe the tube across a dry rag to get rid of any residue from the roughing up process. I have used epoxy when in a bind for time & have had no call backs. But I do prefer the Gorilla Glue. You need to coat the tube & work in in & out with a twisting motion. This spreads the glue evenly inside the blank. Swap ends on the blank & do this again until you feel you have covered at least 90% inside the blank. Hold the blank up to a light to see how you have done. Check the blanks an hour later to make sure the tube has not pushed out of the blank also. You can turn these Gorilla Glued pens in 6 hours but I wait for 18-24hrs. The thicker CA glue will give you more open time to coat more of the inside of the blank. But still only about 3 minutes. So you still gotta hurry. I would rather take my time here & turn at a higher RPM personally. Also there is no substitute for the proper drill bits in pen making & good drilling technique. I have resorted to drilling my blanks starting with a 1/4" brad point bit shoved as far into the chuck as possible. This will help prevent bit bending/wandering & produce straighter holes. Then I go up thru the sizes.

I would recommend good drilling techniques with roughing the tubes up & taking my time in this process. As you know this is the most important step in pen making,, prepping the blanks.  Holler if you need any more help.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version