Author Topic: A pen turning question....  (Read 12061 times)

Offline justannie

• New Forum Member
    • BKC Turkey Calls
A pen turning question....
« on: May 22, 2008, 08:07:57 AM »
I've used epoxy to glue in my tubes. But I hear a lot saying that they use CA. I've tried CA, but EVERYTIME the tube comes loose while turning. Is there a special trick to using the CA to glue in the tubes? Figured I best find out, I've got a pen coming due for a wedding and I don't want anymore problems that normal lol I know I can just use the epoxy,but I don't want the CA to win the battle either!
Bonnie K

Offline Hawks Feather

• New Forum Member
Re: A pen turning question....
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 09:51:43 AM »
Glen, Glen, where are you Glen?
Hawk's Feather Calls
Jerry L. Latta
220 Main Street
Defiance, OH  43512-2316
Hawks_Feather@mac.com
http://www.hawksfeathercustompredatorcalls.com/
CPCMCA  http://www.custompredatorcallassociation.com/

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 12:25:59 PM »
I have had the same problems at times, so I ended up switching to gorilla glue. Haven' had a problem since.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Bucko

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 01:49:56 PM »
I use CA glue for the pens and approx. 10% come loose at the first stage of turning.I know the heavy[thick] consistancy CA glue is recommended and scuffing up the brass tube is also recommended.From what I can recall Gorilla Glue is polyurethene glue and is available at places like Rockler at a good price advertised as polyurethene glue.If I was to use Gorilla Glue I would remember that it expands and use it in minimal amounts.I would say Annie that the epoxy glue is great and quite dependable at full cureing.
 What say ye,Glen?

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 05:33:08 PM »
Gee guys. Thanks for thinking of me on this one.  ;D I might be able to help!!

This is just my way of doing this. I scuff the entire tube with 220grit 1st. Not real heavy as you will take away too much brass & the tube will be too small. Then I wipe the tube across a dry rag to get rid of any residue from the roughing up process. I have used epoxy when in a bind for time & have had no call backs. But I do prefer the Gorilla Glue. You need to coat the tube & work in in & out with a twisting motion. This spreads the glue evenly inside the blank. Swap ends on the blank & do this again until you feel you have covered at least 90% inside the blank. Hold the blank up to a light to see how you have done. Check the blanks an hour later to make sure the tube has not pushed out of the blank also. You can turn these Gorilla Glued pens in 6 hours but I wait for 18-24hrs. The thicker CA glue will give you more open time to coat more of the inside of the blank. But still only about 3 minutes. So you still gotta hurry. I would rather take my time here & turn at a higher RPM personally. Also there is no substitute for the proper drill bits in pen making & good drilling technique. I have resorted to drilling my blanks starting with a 1/4" brad point bit shoved as far into the chuck as possible. This will help prevent bit bending/wandering & produce straighter holes. Then I go up thru the sizes.

I would recommend good drilling techniques with roughing the tubes up & taking my time in this process. As you know this is the most important step in pen making,, prepping the blanks.  Holler if you need any more help.  ;D
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline justannie

• New Forum Member
    • BKC Turkey Calls
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 07:10:31 PM »
I've used gorilla glue on other projects and it says to dampen the wood. Do you need to dampen the tube hole when gluing the tubes?
Bonnie K

Offline wjskip

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 07:38:38 PM »
Because i have no patience i use CA.  As already stated skuff the tubes with 220 plus or minus to get rid of the corrosion and give the tube a good surface.  Use thick CA it fills the gaps better and has a better open time.  The trick to not having the blank spontaneously deconstruct (fly apart) is to get as close to 100% coverage as possible.  I use a piece of aluminum wire used for fence ties to coat the inside of the blank then roll the tube in CA twist and push in and pull out to help spread the glue.  Not all woods respond to CA the same. I think for the most part i only plan on an open time of 20 to 30 seconds.  I have had tubes stick before they are all the way in.  Experience will be your best guide.  If you have the time to wait use a 5 minute epoxy.  Coat the inside of the blank liberally and use the same insertion method.  To keep the glue from getting into the tube and causing much cleaning time use a wax plug or cut a potato in about 1/4" rounds and use that to keep the glue out.  What ever you use make sure that all the glue is out of the tube in the bushing seating area and you will turn less egg shaped barrels.   5 minute epoxy has always worked for me when i have given it atleast 24 haiur to cure and have completely mixed the two parts.  If you use gorilla glue use it sparingly as it expands it can cause the shape of tube to change.  Hope this helps sorry for babbleing.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 07:43:26 PM by wjskip »

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 07:56:13 PM »
I use a q-tip to dampen the hole in the blank & put the Gorilla Glue on the tube. Skip brought up a good point too. If you are using an oily wood you'll have to swab the hole out with denatured alcohol or mineral sirits 1st. Let the blank dry for a couple minutes & immediately do the glue up. HTH

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline justannie

• New Forum Member
    • BKC Turkey Calls
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 08:05:53 PM »
I ain't seen any babbling :) I've made probably only 30 pens, so I'm still in the learning curve. Any information I can get is greatly appreciated :)

I'd wondered how the glue was being kept out of the tube while inserting it. Guess I'll need to start buying some taters to plug my ends. I had just been cleaning fast to get it out. Usually I was successful. I'm just really slow at it all, so I've been using the 30 minute epoxy to give me a bit of leeway to 'try' getting things right.
Bonnie K

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 09:54:22 PM »
The foam from the Gorilla Glue comes off easily with a small rat tail file inside the tube. Then hold it up to the light to make sure you have it all out. Don't get too aggressive as the brass will wear away & you'll need to glue the metal parts into the tube. I'll do my best to get you going in the right direction. I've only been at it for just over a year myself. And this is what works for me.

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline justannie

• New Forum Member
    • BKC Turkey Calls
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 10:09:43 PM »
Sometimes someone just pointing out the 'tricks', like the rat tail file and the potato can REALLY be a big help! :)

This is the first 'set' of pens I ever did. Should never of agreed to the sale, but he knew I'd never made a pen before. They didn't turn out to badly. The one pen with all the other woods segmented was the grooms pen (I think. Memory like a sieve at times)

Bonnie K

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 09:57:49 AM »
Justannie,

If you have not seen it, there are a couple great sites out there for turning pens.

One is www.Penturners.org

and another is http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Pen33.html

Both of those are great sites for pen turners.  Hope that helps some

AL @ THO

Offline justannie

• New Forum Member
    • BKC Turkey Calls
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 10:07:24 AM »
Thanks Al. I've got both of them sites bookmarked. But it's a might intimidating asking questions. Also my photography skills really suck. And some sites place more emphasis on picture quality than being helpful. Yes, I know, pictures help sell your product. But my pictures aren't up to par. One day I'll have time to worry about my pictures more lol

It's just a much more relaxed atmosphere here to ask what probably would be considered stupid questions on another forum :)
Bonnie K

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 10:17:38 AM »
Not a problem.  I think you would be AMAZED at how many call makers never venture outside of their own little world. 

When I first started making calls, I picked up so much info from Penturners.org that I should have sent them a thank you note.

Not everyone is like that though, but sometimes there are great sites out there that have a ton of info on them that people dont know about so I like to post them for everyone. 

It's funny, but I know one board who wont let you post a link to a site like penturners.org becasue they sell things there and since they dont pay to advertise on that site, no one can post a link to it.  It really stiffles creativity and knowledge.

As to the photo thing, Braz has a great little tutorial somewhere on here and I am going to finish up the one I have this weekend and post it.   Taking pictures is not hard, you just need to know the tricks to the trade like anything else.   

I learned to take photos of my calls by reading some of the wood turning boards.  Searching Google on Photographing Small Objects is a good thing to do too.  Lots of info out there, just not enough time to check it all out.  If we each find one or two sites that are usefull and post them, then we ALL bennefit. 

That;'s my story and I'm sticking to it  :)

AL @ THO

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 12:19:02 PM »
I also belong to this site >> http://www.woodturnersresource.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl <<  They have been helpful & I've not gotten the impression they are snooty folks either. I enjoy reading & posting a little over there too.

In the end tho when you are browsing other turning Forums it's all the same basically. Turning is turning no matter what the end result is. Whether it's a game call, pen, or a coaster. Thats why I believe we can all learn from various turning Forums.

Your pictures will get better with time. Braz does have a very well written tutorial & after reading Al's new tutorial I would recommend talking with Hawks Feather (Jerry). He knows alot about photography & is a heckuva good guy to chat with.

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11