Author Topic: To pin or not to pin (the band)  (Read 7117 times)

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
Re: To pin or not to pin (the band)
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 10:22:01 AM »
I drill the pin hole nearly through and drive the pointed pin down until it hits the mandrel that I have it on sand just starts to bend then clip it off and mushroom the head which also mushrooms the other end and no way will the pin loosen up file off and it hides itself so you can finish the band from there.

ben

What Ben is talking about is "Peening" the pin over, much the way we used to install rivets back in the day. This works well, and is how I pin most of my bands on. The only difference is that I use JB weld to bond the band on before I pin it.

As for pins, I use brass welding rods I get from the local welding supply store. They work well, and don't cost much. You can also get them in aluminum. I prefer the 1/8" rods, and I drill my hole just a size smaller and grind a small taper into the pin, which acts like a wedge and keeps the pin from slipping out.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline Hayes

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 10:43:20 AM »
Hey KC......I do not make duck calls but do collect them.....I saw brass pins on the Echo web site the other day.....I do not recall the price though....I have used the brass rod like Jester is talking about on some turkey call bands years ago.....You can get it in several different sizes...I have bought it at Lowe's in the past....

Good luck!

Hayes
There is no graduation from the school of the outdoors. 
Horace Kephart

In the woods we return to reason and faith.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline River Mallard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 11:11:02 AM »
Call Rick up at echo and order the pins. He also sells the drill bits as well. Be sure to buy extra drill bits, cause they like to break, especially if you not use to drilling with such a small bit. I'll try to throw up some pics of how I pin. Its easy once you do it a few times.

Offline fowl attitude

• New Forum Member
    • fowlattitudecalls.com
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
echo sells the pins and the drill bits. pins are $.02 and the bit is $2.00. the size of the bit is .050 if you can find it somewhere else.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 08:58:22 AM »
Thank you guys for all your help and advice, it is greatly appreciated.

I did do a test on my quick setting epoxy and it is waterproof.  Thank goodness.  Didn't want to have to trash all the calls I have sitting in my shop!

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 09:35:14 AM »
You can order brass rod from several different places and cut your own pins.    Match them to a good drill bit and you are all set.   OnlineMetals.com   or  Mcmaster.com are two places to get the solid rod.   If you have an ACE Hardware in your area, they used to have a brass bin where you could also buy brass rods for pinning.   

I still think a press fit is better     :eek:   

But that's what makes the world go round - which ever way you feel comfortable with and works for you, is the right way.   And dont let anyone tell you different  :nono:   

Al @ THO