Author Topic: Cracked Barrels  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Robert A.

• New Forum Member
Cracked Barrels
« on: September 22, 2009, 09:26:10 AM »
I am not sure if it is the texas heat or just to tight of a tolerance between my inserts and the barrels but i have made a couple of calls (Olivewood & Osage Orange) that after a couple of days in a truck after hunting cracked. Not bad but enough to notice, both calls did not have bands. The olivewood call had a good fit with the oring but the Osage was snug. Any suggestions?
Triple Shot Game Calls
http://www.tripleshotgamecalls.com/
If you don't take a chance you will never get a chance!!!

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: Cracked Barrels
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 09:46:32 AM »
Moisture content of the wood perhaps?  If the inserts were snug and the wood was trying to dry out (shrink) a crack could form due to the stress.

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 10:10:22 AM »
Are you allowing the wood to rest in your shop for a week or 2 before you turn your call? I turned a couple out of some curly cherry that came from the east coast the day I took it out of the box, and had the same thing happen. Now I don't turn anything that hasn't been in the shop for a month first.

Good luck!

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline fowl attitude

• New Forum Member
    • fowlattitudecalls.com
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 11:21:54 AM »
agree with bob and also not being a smart @ss but dont leave your calls in the truck the heat will always make them crack if left for a period of time.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 11:30:19 AM »
What was the moisture content of the wood you used?  Type of finish?  Did you get the barrels hot while drilling or sanding?

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

bushbuck

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 11:54:58 AM »
I store my wood in the roof of a shed where it stays pretty warm even in winter. I don't make anything from wood that has not been seasoned for at least six months in the roof. Try turning blanks first and let them rest before shaping them. That will give any stresses in the wood time to equalize. A good friend of mine that makes knives has an old steel cabinet that has been fitted with 2 60W light bulbs that stay on 24/7 to keep the wood dry. He wont work any wood that has not been stored in his cupboard. I would also suggest that you apply your finish as soon as possible after shaping. This will prevent any unnecessary moisture absorption and drying out

Offline Robert A.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 07:15:46 PM »
Thank you Guys!!  I agree enough heat will cause them to crack over a period of time, the Osage I used had been in the shop for at least 4 months. Olivewood I bought from Rockler and it had sat in the shop for a month or so as well. I will have to invest in a moisture meter and perhaps drill them and let the blank sit and relax next time before turning. Lessoned learned. :thanks: You guys are great!!!
Triple Shot Game Calls

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 08:17:28 PM »
I have found that some of the places sell wood so green you can still smell where the last squirrel sat on it.   My guess is the wood was probably too green and when you turned it you removed all of the sealing and it dried out to fast. 

Find a place that sells dry wood, or plan on buying your wood 2 or more years in advance.  The latter is the best, I have a stock pile of wood so I rarely have to use a piece that has not been in the shop for a year or more.  When turning unknown wood it is best to seal it inside and out right after you turn it.  This way of it is a little green you slow down the drying process. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Robert A.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 01:32:05 PM »
Thanks Marvin!!
Triple Shot Game Calls