The Art of Handcrafting Custom Game Calls > General Call Making Discussions

homemade lathe accessories

<< < (2/3) > >>

Lower Creek Game Calls:

--- Quote from: dogcatcher on September 16, 2009, 10:22:57 PM ---If you get a drill chuck and a utility 4 jaw chuck you will have more than the basics.  Save the expense of the collet chuck for later.  With a 4 jaw chuck and a drill chuck you can drill blanks and inserts.  You can turn the insert using the drill bit and a few washers.  You already have the mandrel for the barrel.  Next you will need a jig for your insert, if no scroll saw or bandsaw you can use a coping saw. 

Marvin

--- End quote ---

I am going to have to make a new wood mandrel I was able to turn 6 calls but on the 7th it started to slip.  I noticed where the filled down area was for the metal pin it was worn down allowing the blank to turn over it.  Any advice for this other than getting a metal mandrel?  If I have the drill chuck and 4 jaw chuck will I be able to build a steel mandrel by buying 5/8 steel rod from lowes and filling a flat spot in it?  Thanks Marvin for all the help.

jcz:
You can make one but you will never get it to turn without a wobble in the 4 jaw chuck. That is why I got a collect chuck.

dogcatcher:
Get a 3/8" lag bolt 2" long, install it in the end of a 5" long piece of 1x1 hardwood, then cut the head end off.  Using the drill chuck in the headstock turn it to 5/8" diameter, then either file your flat spot or use 2 O rings.  To use O rings cut grooves about 2" apart in the 5/8" dowel you made.  I would make the 5/8" dowel a little under size, about 1/64" to 1/32" should be okay, the O rings will center the body.  The O rings system is not perfect, but close enough that you will have a hard time telling it. 

The lag bolt will let you use the mandrel longer, almost like having a metal mandrel on the end.  And the O rings will also make the mandrel last what seems forever.

Marvin

jcz:
Great tip Marvin.... man where was that about 6 weeks ago? I guess if I dont ask you dont know how to help huh.

dogcatcher:
I am sure I have posted that tip before, I use it all of the time for custom sized mandrels or "jigs" for other turnings, made 2 today for bottle stoppers that we make.  One for me and one for my daughter-in-law so she can make bottle stoppers for Christmas presents.  It is an easy way to make the mandrel for making turkey trumpets, takes less than 10 minutes, if I made a metal mandrel it would take a lot longer.  Time is money, and material cost is also less.

Marvin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version