The Art of Handcrafting Custom Game Calls > General Call Making Discussions

homemade lathe accessories

<< < (3/3)

jleiwig:
Here is an independent 4 jaw chuck I found online that I intend to copy if I don't find the money for my own

Heirloom:
Sure had alot of work in that one, it looks nice BUT, as marvin said, I would be nervous about the integrity of the wood holding up. You could make the same thing, maybe not as pretty but with a large pipe coupling, some welding and some bolts. Or at least put a metla "strap/wrap around that one.
Drill chucks are about $10 from harbor Freight that fit an MT2 taper. Marvin makes a great mandrel that fits them wonderfully. In the interest of safety, I would suggest you look into that first. With the exception of a few pot call designs, you can make about any call you wish with a jacobs chuck and one of Marvins mandrels for less than $50. What parts I got left on me, I am trying to keep. I would hate to read about ANYONE getting hurt. There is just too many things that can happen that are not planned on to take any chances.
Sorry if I come across wrong, I REALLY hate to see someone take a chance and get hurt or worse.

jleiwig:

--- Quote from: Heirloom on September 17, 2009, 09:29:17 AM ---With the exception of a few pot call designs, you can make about any call you wish with a jacobs chuck and one of Marvins mandrels for less than $50.
--- End quote ---

Not if you don't have a drill press. 

I would only use it for drilling blanks on the lathe. I definitely wouldn't spin it above 500 rpms either.

dogcatcher:
Brian, I no longer make mandrels that fit the drill chucks.  Liability issues, I only make them to fit collet chucks.

For a cheap 4 jaw chuck look at the PSI utility chuck and at Grizzly chucks.  But before you buy, post a link or photo, some of the Grizzly chucks are listed as being wood lathe chucks, but their design is more suitable for metal lathes.  They make good boat anchors for woodturners.

I have seen the above chuck photos before, wood and glue and screws will work.  Just make sure you wear your face mask and have a moment of silence before use.   For around $50 you can get a suitable knuckle buster chuck.

You need neither a drill press nor a 4 jaw chuck to make pot calls.  A face plate and a hand drill, or even a brace and bit is all that is needed.  Not the easiest way, but it worked for me for years. 

Marvin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version