The Art of Handcrafting Custom Game Calls > General Call Making Discussions

homemade lathe accessories

(1/3) > >>

Lower Creek Game Calls:
Making my own wood style pin mandrel got me thinking and I would love to see everyone elses homemade ideas.  I would love to see if someone has a homemade 3 or 4 jaw chuck especially. 

dogcatcher:
It would have to be independent jaws and then you would need lot of luck to get it centered.  I personally would not want a chuck made of wood turning very fast with me in the same room.  The parts have to be movable, which means the parts can break.

I have forgotten which lathe you have.  Can you fit a drill chuck in the headstock?  Then I will try to get you to the next step.

Marvin

Lower Creek Game Calls:

--- Quote from: dogcatcher on September 16, 2009, 09:18:38 PM ---

I have forgotten which lathe you have.  Can you fit a drill chuck in the headstock?  Then I will try to get you to the next step.

Marvin

--- End quote ---

I have the turncrafter so yes I can use a drill chuck.  I plan on buying one of those and possibly a collet chuck set next week.

jcz:
You will not be dissappointed with those two purchases.

dogcatcher:
If you get a drill chuck and a utility 4 jaw chuck you will have more than the basics.  Save the expense of the collet chuck for later.  With a 4 jaw chuck and a drill chuck you can drill blanks and inserts.  You can turn the insert using the drill bit and a few washers.  You already have the mandrel for the barrel.  Next you will need a jig for your insert, if no scroll saw or bandsaw you can use a coping saw. 

Marvin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version