Author Topic: homemade lathe accessories  (Read 12465 times)

Offline Lower Creek Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Lower Creek Game Calls
homemade lathe accessories
« on: September 16, 2009, 08:37:28 PM »
Making my own wood style pin mandrel got me thinking and I would love to see everyone elses homemade ideas.  I would love to see if someone has a homemade 3 or 4 jaw chuck especially. 
John Hood
Lower Creek Game Calls
Author of "Today's Call Makers Keeping The Tradition Alive"

www.lowercreekgamecalls.com

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
Re: homemade lathe accessories
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 09:18:38 PM »
It would have to be independent jaws and then you would need lot of luck to get it centered.  I personally would not want a chuck made of wood turning very fast with me in the same room.  The parts have to be movable, which means the parts can break.

I have forgotten which lathe you have.  Can you fit a drill chuck in the headstock?  Then I will try to get you to the next step.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

• New Forum Member
    • Lower Creek Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 09:59:05 PM »

I have forgotten which lathe you have.  Can you fit a drill chuck in the headstock?  Then I will try to get you to the next step.

Marvin

I have the turncrafter so yes I can use a drill chuck.  I plan on buying one of those and possibly a collet chuck set next week.
John Hood
Lower Creek Game Calls

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 10:08:48 PM »
You will not be dissappointed with those two purchases.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 10:22:57 PM »
If you get a drill chuck and a utility 4 jaw chuck you will have more than the basics.  Save the expense of the collet chuck for later.  With a 4 jaw chuck and a drill chuck you can drill blanks and inserts.  You can turn the insert using the drill bit and a few washers.  You already have the mandrel for the barrel.  Next you will need a jig for your insert, if no scroll saw or bandsaw you can use a coping saw. 

Marvin

• New Forum Member
    • Lower Creek Game Calls
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 11:19:44 PM »
If you get a drill chuck and a utility 4 jaw chuck you will have more than the basics.  Save the expense of the collet chuck for later.  With a 4 jaw chuck and a drill chuck you can drill blanks and inserts.  You can turn the insert using the drill bit and a few washers.  You already have the mandrel for the barrel.  Next you will need a jig for your insert, if no scroll saw or bandsaw you can use a coping saw. 

Marvin

I am going to have to make a new wood mandrel I was able to turn 6 calls but on the 7th it started to slip.  I noticed where the filled down area was for the metal pin it was worn down allowing the blank to turn over it.  Any advice for this other than getting a metal mandrel?  If I have the drill chuck and 4 jaw chuck will I be able to build a steel mandrel by buying 5/8 steel rod from lowes and filling a flat spot in it?  Thanks Marvin for all the help.
John Hood
Lower Creek Game Calls

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 11:22:57 PM »
You can make one but you will never get it to turn without a wobble in the 4 jaw chuck. That is why I got a collect chuck.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 11:33:03 PM »
Get a 3/8" lag bolt 2" long, install it in the end of a 5" long piece of 1x1 hardwood, then cut the head end off.  Using the drill chuck in the headstock turn it to 5/8" diameter, then either file your flat spot or use 2 O rings.  To use O rings cut grooves about 2" apart in the 5/8" dowel you made.  I would make the 5/8" dowel a little under size, about 1/64" to 1/32" should be okay, the O rings will center the body.  The O rings system is not perfect, but close enough that you will have a hard time telling it. 

The lag bolt will let you use the mandrel longer, almost like having a metal mandrel on the end.  And the O rings will also make the mandrel last what seems forever.

Marvin

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 11:40:54 PM »
Great tip Marvin.... man where was that about 6 weeks ago? I guess if I dont ask you dont know how to help huh.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 11:51:34 PM »
I am sure I have posted that tip before, I use it all of the time for custom sized mandrels or "jigs" for other turnings, made 2 today for bottle stoppers that we make.  One for me and one for my daughter-in-law so she can make bottle stoppers for Christmas presents.  It is an easy way to make the mandrel for making turkey trumpets, takes less than 10 minutes, if I made a metal mandrel it would take a lot longer.  Time is money, and material cost is also less.

Marvin

Offline jleiwig

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 08:24:33 AM »
Here is an independent 4 jaw chuck I found online that I intend to copy if I don't find the money for my own

Offline Heirloom

• New Forum Member
  • PASS IT ON
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 09:29:17 AM »
Sure had alot of work in that one, it looks nice BUT, as marvin said, I would be nervous about the integrity of the wood holding up. You could make the same thing, maybe not as pretty but with a large pipe coupling, some welding and some bolts. Or at least put a metla "strap/wrap around that one.
Drill chucks are about $10 from harbor Freight that fit an MT2 taper. Marvin makes a great mandrel that fits them wonderfully. In the interest of safety, I would suggest you look into that first. With the exception of a few pot call designs, you can make about any call you wish with a jacobs chuck and one of Marvins mandrels for less than $50. What parts I got left on me, I am trying to keep. I would hate to read about ANYONE getting hurt. There is just too many things that can happen that are not planned on to take any chances.
Sorry if I come across wrong, I REALLY hate to see someone take a chance and get hurt or worse.
Brian Warner
Heirloom Game Calls
 PASS IT ON
318-949-9008
heirloomgamecalls@yahoo.com

Offline jleiwig

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 10:38:03 AM »
With the exception of a few pot call designs, you can make about any call you wish with a jacobs chuck and one of Marvins mandrels for less than $50.

Not if you don't have a drill press. 

I would only use it for drilling blanks on the lathe. I definitely wouldn't spin it above 500 rpms either.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 12:59:20 PM »
Brian, I no longer make mandrels that fit the drill chucks.  Liability issues, I only make them to fit collet chucks.

For a cheap 4 jaw chuck look at the PSI utility chuck and at Grizzly chucks.  But before you buy, post a link or photo, some of the Grizzly chucks are listed as being wood lathe chucks, but their design is more suitable for metal lathes.  They make good boat anchors for woodturners.

I have seen the above chuck photos before, wood and glue and screws will work.  Just make sure you wear your face mask and have a moment of silence before use.   For around $50 you can get a suitable knuckle buster chuck.

You need neither a drill press nor a 4 jaw chuck to make pot calls.  A face plate and a hand drill, or even a brace and bit is all that is needed.  Not the easiest way, but it worked for me for years. 

Marvin