Author Topic: Recommended finishes ?'s  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Recommended finishes ?'s
« on: September 09, 2009, 08:50:04 AM »
Hey all,

I'm making a few duck calls these days but am reluctant to do anything but give them away because I haven't field tested the finishes I'm putting on them.  I know spar is pretty tough stuff but I sure do hate using it because of the drying time.  I don't like polyurethane any better, but would opt for spar over poly any day just for durability.  I prefer Deft but I have real concerns that the laquer finish isn't durable for the wetness encountered when duck hunting.  For duck calls, what do you all think of Deft?  The last thing I want is to have calls returned due to problems with the finish.

I use waterlox on the majority of my turkey calls and have had good results with it.  Anyone try it for duck calls?  The only problem with it is it will not dry on oily woods...Learned that the hard way on a recent moradillo turkey call.

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: Recommended finishes ?'s
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 09:44:33 AM »
Don't use Deft on duck and goose calls, you will have unhappy customers.  No question about it.

I use spar, recommended to me once upon a time by Wes.  I'm sure others will give you more ideas.   :up1:

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 10:42:10 AM »
I dip using spar and paint thinner at a 50/50 mixture. Dries pretty fast, and the protection is amazing.

Usually takes about 3 times through the dip, let it dry between coats, and buff it with fine steel wool before dipping again.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 11:10:08 AM »
Thanks guys, good feedback.  I'm curious if you're dipping the calls before putting the bands on, or if you do it after?  Although it might not be justifiable, I'm worried about the epoxy I'm using to attach the band not making a good bond to the spar urethane.  Is turning and sanding the call, installing the band, polishing the band, then dipping the whole thing in spar a better option? 

Offline jleiwig

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 01:45:50 PM »
I'd guess after since no poly varnish will stick to a brass band for long. 

I thought about trying an epoxy finish like they use on fishing rods, but that might get expensive given the size of the call.

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 03:27:05 PM »
I dip mine with the bands on. The last thing I do is take all the spar off the band. The spar will actuall help hold the band on believe it or not.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 04:08:35 PM »
Not a bad idea Bob.  So after the call is dry you sand and polish the spar off the band, and then just clean the band up and leave the metal unfinished?