Author Topic: More work with coffee grounds  (Read 4903 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
More work with coffee grounds
« on: September 08, 2009, 12:29:20 AM »
Here's two calls I made this weekend that incorporate coffee grounds.  I'm not much for drinking it so I put it to other uses. 

This one is marbled claro walnut.  I parted a groove in the barrel and filled it with coffee grounds.  The finish is several coats of BLO applied on the lathe.  The insert is an Echo double reed.

This one was one heck of a challenge...Absolutely the most difficult material I've ever turned.  It is from a banksia pod.  That's kind of like a cross between a pinecone and a cattail head from Australia.  They have dozens of hollow seed holes in them.  I filled the seed holes with coffee grounds and CA.  Over and over and over and over and over and over.  Lots of work in this one.  The thing is basically solid CA, so I just buffed it on the Beall buffer and that made it shine.  The band needs a bit more work with the fine sandpaper and a new coat of laquer...Kind of boogered it up so I'll be fixing that.
I wish these things grew big enough to make turkey pots but they dont!

Offline harvey8542

• New Forum Member
  • Team Stubble Stalkers
    • Stubble Stalkers
Re: More work with coffee grounds
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 12:48:02 AM »
 :bigup: :bigup: :bigup:
Great deal on advertising two of your calls for a year on http://stubblestalkers.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php

bushbuck

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 01:18:11 AM »
Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The coffee grounds idea is really unique. I suppose you could do that with anything?

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 01:33:50 AM »
Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The coffee grounds idea is really unique. I suppose you could do that with anything?

You can use just about anything you can think of and some that you would never think of.  It is easier if you use things that will cut about the same or easier than the wood.  There are also commercially made inlays that use synthetics that look like jewels or precious metals.  Not sure if you have it available buy them but embossing powders from craft stores are easy and fun to use.

Marvin
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 01:37:27 AM by dogcatcher »
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 08:05:52 AM »
Do I smell a tutorial a coming :clap: :clap:

That second call brother...Plain and simple just bad @.  WOW

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline Robert A.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 08:30:29 AM »
I am with Stump, that second call is off the hook!! Great work and patients Mate! :bigup:
Triple Shot Game Calls
http://www.tripleshotgamecalls.com/
If you don't take a chance you will never get a chance!!!

bushbuck

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 01:10:43 PM »
Will have to steal some of the Boss' powder from her studio and try this thing out. I assume that the resin is the acrylic that I have seen mentioned. The more I look at these calls, the more I like them.

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 06:53:32 PM »
You can get pretty creative with crack or gap filling.  About anything in the spice aisle at the grocery store can be used (pepper, mustard seed, etc).  Coffee of course too.  Crushed stone, Inlace, turquoise and other rock and coral products can be used.  Another one I'm going to try is charcoal. 

I've heard of people mixing them with epoxy but I always use CA glue.  I start with thin CA glue to run all the cracks and voids and generally stabilize the tiny parts of the cracks or holes.  Then I use medium thickness CA glue to get into the remaning small nooks and crannies.  I use thick CA or gel CA to fill the bulk of the hole and I push the coffee into the gap with my fingers.  After putting the coffee in some voids are created where the glue doesn't flow around it, so thin CA and medium CA are used to fill those small spaces.  After all that has set I turn the piece, frequently stopping to add thick or gel CA into the remaining pinholes that inevitably appear.  It takes forever and takes a bit of patience.  Don't use slow-setting CA, use the hot stuff that dries in a minute or less and cures in five minutes. 

The CA is hard and clear, pretty much like acrylic.  So it sands, turns and polishes well.

Spray activator is great for this little process.  You have to be careful with it because it will sometimes "frost" the CA.

Thanks for all the compliments!  Doing this allows you to use wood you might otherwise throw away and make it unique looking at the same time.

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 07:41:28 PM »
Great idea and really really great work.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Bubba

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 03:03:02 PM »
WOW!!!!  You've inspired me!!!  Do you use fresh coffee from the can or the actual used grounds, dried out of course???

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 06:27:15 PM »
WOW!!!!  You've inspired me!!!  Do you use fresh coffee from the can or the actual used grounds, dried out of course???

Right out of the can.  The downside is that it makes the woody smelling wood shop smell like a foofoo smelling coffee shop (I hate those places).

Glad to inspire somebody here!  I've sure picked up a lot from the guys here so hopefully someone can get some mileage from my idea.  :yes:

Bubba

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 11:31:20 PM »
Thanks KC!!  I tried this out tonight with a little piece of Hedge I had lying around and the result is pretty cool!!!  This idea opens up a whole new world of possibilities!!!