Author Topic: Chickadee bird house  (Read 11007 times)

Offline Repeat

• New Forum Member
Chickadee bird house
« on: August 30, 2009, 03:51:04 PM »
Turned bird house for chickadee's / finches and such I have made few small decorative bird houses but was asked if could build a real house this is turned out of western cedar cut into 9 stave's w 20 degree shoulders then glued up..
Repeat

Will Hunt For Food

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Chickadee bird house
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 06:59:32 PM »
That came out pretty cool!   Are you going to leave it natural?  I bet it will weather very nicely if you do.   I'm going to have to try this.  I have a number of logs I have collected this spring when some of my neighbors had trees cut down.    Great idea!

Al @ THO

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 07:20:20 PM »
That's just too cool. Very nice work.  :bigup:
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 12:17:58 AM »
This is neat!  My grandparents would really enjoy something like this!  Any need to have a little stick they can use to get in?  Any tips on inside demensions?

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 12:33:59 AM »
You said nine staves, but what width of each stave? What is the total diameter of the finished body? I assume you just turned out the insides of the bottom and top so they would just nicely fit over the body. Very nice. I'd like to try one of those myself. How did you hold it on the lathe to turn it?
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Repeat

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 11:00:04 AM »
Thanks guys for the kind words... This all started with making little houses some one wanted me to turn large bird house for real birds I found article on turning houses and changed things up to suite me...
First off the width of the stave's is only limited to the size you can turn on your lathe to clear the bed and if you have a longer bed the length is up to you ...on my jet the biggest one I have tried is a pine 8 stave's @ 2-3/8" x 9" with 20 degree shoulder cuts then take ( 2 ) 7-8" hose clamps glue them up and clamp make sure you check your alignment as you clamp don't worry to much about small gaps as the will turn out..It should be 6" in diameter x 9"  inside will be 4.5"
I glue up pieces of western cedar for the top and bottom using a mandrel for making bottle stoppers chuck them up and turn to shape you like .
Turn a tenon on the bottom of your piece to fit snugly inside your house I make mine about 1.5" deep then I turned a shoulder so the house fits down in the recess a little just to finish off the top & bottoms of the house .
Then turn small final for the tip ( for wire hanger ) drill 1/8" or smaller hole  for wire I make few wraps around needle nose pliers to form kind of a small knot then feed up from bottom through the hole the wrap and twist 2-3 times around pliers to form the ring then glue it into the hole from the stopper mandrel..

The western cedar house is made with ( 9 ) 1.5" x 12" stave's with 20 degree shoulder cuts then glued & clamped using (2) 5"-6" hose clamps
The outside diameter are 4" x 12" inside is about 2 7/8" both houses have a 1.5" entrance hole I am going to add a aromatic red cedar perch to this house..

To turn you houses you will need to build 2 jamb type of caps ( see photos ) make sure your tenons are fairly tight fit so it won't slip as you turn down the outside of house.
I bought 2 hose clamps and one western cedar fence board at Lowe's for total of maybe $ 8.00 the longest amount of time I had in this project was waiting for the glue to dry ! this is so much faster and easier than drilling hole in the end grain to get your inside hole !!! on one little decorative house I did I had over 1.5 hours just steep drilling with fostner bits so as not to over heat bits one at a time and only ended up with 2.5" when finished..
Show me what you come up with...
Repeat

Will Hunt For Food

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 11:15:58 AM »
Now that is really cool. Thanks for the instructions.
Braz

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 11:25:11 AM »
 :up1:  WOW!  You know......with your abilities to be able to do glue ups like that, you could make yourself a owl hooter keg call VERY easily!  Something to think about!

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline Repeat

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 12:02:48 PM »
Parker never have seen one do you have a photo of one? usually if I see it I can build it ! I make duck box's for DU / CWA fundraisers some times
Repeat
Will Hunt For Food

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 03:38:12 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/ML-Lynch-Barred-Hooter-Locator/dp/B0000AVY41

Here's a picture!  I think you'd be able to make  REALLY fancy one REALLY easily since you've already got your angles down!  Its a SUPER easy way to make owl hoot sounds for locating turkeys.

Parker

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline Repeat

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 03:52:24 PM »
I am going to try to build one will let u know how it turns out looks kind of on the same design of the old kids train whistle?
I was thinking it was a house for hoot owls?? what do I know   :oops:   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Will Hunt For Food