Author Topic: I added A Walnut Howler  (Read 5856 times)

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
  • I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy
    • J.B. Calls
I added A Walnut Howler
« on: May 15, 2008, 11:18:57 PM »
I'm not real familiar with these woods and their durability so I hope being dipped in polycrylic will make them last. This is my second using the butternut so I thought I'd show it along with a picture of the end. It is very light wood so I thought I shouldn't go too thin on the end. Do you think it's thin enough. I don't have any step bits yet so the bell is hollowed out using my dremel and a bunch of sanding. The call is almost 7" long not counting the toneboard which would put it around 8 1/4".  I didn't measure it for thickness but it's not real thick and not super thin either. The end is still drying but I couldn't wait any longer.  ;D  The taper runs up to between the second ring and the lanyard ring. From there back to the toneboard it is 5/8 . I tried it and it's really loud. I think other than switching to a different wood this howler will be the style I will turn the most with some variations I have in mind.

John

« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 03:44:07 PM by John_NY »
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: Butternut Howler
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 12:46:24 AM »
That's a nice looking call John. I think the thickness is fine. It has a nice opening, and that is the key. If you get it too think, it can crack, and even if it sounds great, maybe better, cracking ruins it and that isn't good. I like thin calls, but too thin is a problem. Yours looks just fine to me.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 12:53:54 AM »
Thanks Braz. I thought it was open enough but I like to get opinions. Better safe than sorry.  ;D
It takes awhile using a dremel to open it up  and then sanding it smooth.

John
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

JB Custom Calls

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 06:04:29 AM »
Looks good from here too!! I like the long tapered look.  ;D
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 12:00:46 PM »
John, why don't you do the bell end on the lathe? Mount the piece in your chuck before you turn it. You can then do the bell end. Then mount the piece using a mandrel and turn the rest of the call. Just seems a bit easier than using the dremmel.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 03:05:50 PM »
That's easy. I don't have a chuck.  ;D

John

JB Custom Calls

Offline Troy of Run -N- Gun Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 03:12:44 PM »
That is a fine looking howler,John.

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
    • J.B. Calls
Re: Butternut Howler , I added A Walnut Howler
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 03:20:47 PM »
I went back out in the shop last night about 1:00am and did this walnut howler. I like the look of the walnut alot better than that butternut. It's rough on the dremel though.  ;D  It's about 6 1/2" with the toneboard.

John

JB Custom Calls

Offline Braz

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: I added A Walnut Howler
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 06:10:57 PM »
Did you drill it out with step drills first? That would be what I would do. Then use the dremmel to just smooth it out. Maybe even using some 60grit sanding drums in the dremmel.
Braz

Offline John_NY

• New Forum Member
    • J.B. Calls
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 06:50:27 PM »
No I didn't Braz. I gotta get some step bits later too along with a chuck and other things I'm finding I need. I just put the wood in the lathe and turn it. After I turn it I hold it and use a fostner 5/8 bit and drill a hole through it so the toneboard fits, then I use a cutter bit in my dremel and hollow out the bell end. After that I put a split rod in my drill press with a piece of sandpaper in the slot and start sanding it.  I'm sure it seems like alot of extra time but you make do with what you have and it really doesn't take all that long to get one done. I don't mind it. I will get some things I need as I can but in the meantime I'm ok with doing it this way.

John

JB Custom Calls

Offline JThomas

• New Forum Member
    • http://skullpointgamecalls.com
Re: Butternut Howler , I added A Walnut Howler
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 10:18:05 PM »
I went back out in the shop last night about 1:00am and did this walnut howler. I like the look of the walnut alot better than that butternut. It's rough on the dremel though.  ;D  It's about 6 1/2" with the toneboard.

John

1:00 am I was dream land 8)
http://skullpointgamecalls.com         
 Aim small - Miss small

Offline JThomas

• New Forum Member
    • http://skullpointgamecalls.com
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 10:19:16 PM »
Really nice calls..................
http://skullpointgamecalls.com         
 Aim small - Miss small