Author Topic: Question  (Read 2904 times)

Offline Cigarman

• New Forum Member
Question
« on: May 14, 2008, 05:11:02 PM »
Or maybe two.  I just finished a call made from East Indian Rosewood.  I'll try and post a pic later tonight.  but for the questions.  Where and how do you sign your calls?   Also do you swab the inside of your calls with anything to make them more water resident .

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 06:18:36 PM »
Looking forward to seeing pictures. I love that East Indian Rosewood. For me, I always finish the insides of my calls with oil. Of course, that is what I put on the outside too, but then I buff the outside, ending with carnuba wax. Can't do that easily inside, so I just finish with several coats of oil. As to the signing, I usually sign the inside of the barrel. Seems like it will last better there. I am trying to get some decals made, and then maybe I'll use them. Depends on the call. For a call that may sit on the shelf, I kinda like the signature inside better than the decal. But if i can get them made up, maybe I will put a small decal inside the bell. That is pretty permanent and doesn't distract from the call at all.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline Curmudgeon

• New Forum Member
    • Tail Gunner Duck Calls
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 09:40:52 PM »
The custom duck calls I have are all signed on the toneboard. Sort of makes sense since the sound of the call is the makers signature also. One is signed with one of those electric ingraving pens you use to put your name on things, the others with some sort of pen. I think there was a thread somewhere on the type of pen, but it was avalaible at any large office supply store. I have not strated signing my calls, but I do include a card with each one that tells the owner I made it, when it was made, and from what type of wood. 
June 2009 Call Makers Throwdown Winner !

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 10:21:55 PM »

I have a small tip that I put on my dremel and carve my initials and year in my toneboard.  But my toneboards are for predators and they are made out of delrin.  Sometimes I use a fine point sharpie and put my name or initials in the barrel of the call as well.

You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 10:52:17 PM »
I sign my light colored calls on the inside of the barrel with a caligraphy pen and black india ink.   Dark colored calls get acrylic paint in gold or silver, sometimes white.   All get a coat of clear fingernail polish over the signature.

I finish the inside of my barrels with the same thing I finish the outside with. 

In the tutorial section, there is a tutorial on making closed reed predator calls.  Towards the end of that tutorial there is some information on how I finish the inside of the barrel that might give you some ideals.   Basically, I put a dowel or piece of delrin with a sliot cut in it in a drill press, and put some paper towles in the slot and finsih the inside that way.

Al @ THO